Old Navy

There are newer employer reviews for Old Navy

Friendly staff, horrible managers

Former Employee - Old Navy Sales Associate in Scottsdale, AZ
Former Employee - Old Navy Sales Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Old Navy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Employee discount at Old Navy, Gap, and Banana Republic
Fun work environment
Diverse work and employees
Flexible hours

Cons

Pushing Old Navy credit cards- This was by far the worst part of the job. You have to get a certain number of people to open Old Navy credit cards, which are a huge scam. If you don't open enough accounts, your managers will continually harass you. We actually had a list of people who didn't have enough hanging in the break room. So inappropriate.
Underqualified management- Seemingly everyday one of the managers was running around the store like a chicken with their head cut off and looked to be in over their head. One had a panic attack right on the store floor during shipment.
Rude/angry customers

Chill out about the Old Navy credit cards. If you get your employees so worked up about opening credit card accouts, it makes it difficult to focus on other aspects of the job, like customer service! And, your credit cards have horrible terms & conditions, so it is hard to feel good about persuading someone to open one.

1489 Other Employee Reviews for Old Navy (View Most Recent)

good place to work as part time

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Manhattan Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Manhattan Beach, CA

I worked at Old Navy part-time (more than an year)

Pros

lots of fun while working at old navy

Cons

just want you to sell ONC's

sometimes available

Great Retail, but Still Retail

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Old Navy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Great corporate attitude. Very ethical business practices at both the in-store and international levels, including an emphasis toward environmental protection (my store is LEED Silver certified!).
    -Lots of breaks for employees.
    -Opportunity for payed time off in the event of death in the family.
    -Amazing discounts at all GAP Inc. stores (Old Navy, GAP, Banana Republic, et al.).
    -Open disclosure for staff: corporate HQ offers anonymous surveys fairly to give feedback on in-store practices, and you can speak to anyone (including an anonymous hotline) about management issues or conditions.
    -Flexible schedules.
    -Loose uniform policy: wear whatever you want!

Cons

-Convoluted management. Always in a state of disorganization; don't really give good feedback to sales associates.
    -Old Navy Cards. They are HORRIBLE, and employees are forced to sell them like giving out water in the desert. Nobody customer wants them, and they are a terrible method of making money. Even a punch-hole reward card would be better.
    -Poor training: the method that several of my co-workers and myself have experienced is to have management toss newbies into the middle of the fray, and have them learn on the fly. We learn, I suppose, but we make a lot of mistakes, and are scolded for making them, even though we were not taught how to fix them.
    -Understaffing. The store is constantly understaffed during busy hours, and constantly overstaffed during lulls. Weekends and closing shifts are always going to be busier than day shifts. Why doesn't management ever schedule people appropriately/ I couldn't answer...
    -Awful Closing: Due to understaffing and business, the store's final hours always leave the entire place looking like a fashion warzone. Everything is a mess, and management sincerely underestimates how long it takes to recover the store. If store is understaffed, expect to stay very long hours after the official closing time.

Please staff stores better! Closing needs a lot of staff almost every night, especially throughout the weekends; day shifts require very few people (except on weekends). Holidays ALWAYS need high staff counts, no matter the time - do not skimp on major sails days!

Also, realize that a lot of people are working only once per quarter to remain official on the payroll and thus abuse the awesome discount card you guys offer without contributing their time or effort. That's not fair to the rest of us, and you should investigate those who aren't putting in their due and proper to help save yourself money.

There are newer employer reviews for Old Navy