Merchandise Specialist

I have been working at Old Navy part-time

Pros

Great discounts (25% off reg & sale items at ON, 50% at Gap, 50% at Banana Republic) & flexible hours. Great opportunity for advancement. A specialist is rarely in the job for more than a year. Company culture is great.

Cons

Stressful work environment at times. A lot is put on the merchandise specialists and the pay isn't really worth it. But after a year you can usually move up, so it can be worth it depending on your career goals.

Other Employee Reviews for Old Navy

1. Store Employee

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cash Handler in Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cash Handler in Green Bay, WI

I worked at Old Navy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun, high energy, great people, great company! I love working retail, and it had been some time since working in a store. I enjoyed coming to work!

Cons

I had to commute over 30 minutes and sometimes the shifts were 4 hours, or were cut shorter, so I ended up paying more in gas when that happened.

It's nick named Old Slavey for a reason.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cash Handler in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cash Handler in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Old Navy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

None. Nada. Not even the discount. 10 percent on clearance, 25 percent regular. The only thing that keeps me is my fellow coworkers ... And fear of no income.

Cons

The hours! One week you'll get four hours. The next twenty. Though that's rare. They give NO HOURS then call you up to come in and get mad when you can't. So they punish you by giving you even less hours. Management is rude, classless. Catty and gossipy. Play favorites. Lazy. Do no work. Understaffed. CHEAP CUSTOMERS. Dirty. Dirty diapers. Vomit on floor. Snacks left chewed on tables. Pushed to get store credit cards. Absurdly. If you don't you won't get hours. And you get nothing for them. But manager gets a raise. Blatant racism. Asst store manager told my coworker her hair was ghetto. When I reported it to corp, I was punished. Hours were cut. Was taken off shipment. Was written up for being two minutes late. GAp code is a joke. I've called many times to "follow up" on my complaint... Nothing. Managers cover each others butts. Nothing gets changed everything is hidden. Favorites are played. Bullying is prevalent. Employees are fired frequently. You can be fired for not getting ONCs, fired for being a minute late, fired for calling out sick. No full time, no benefits, no PTO. Meetings mandatory that you don't get paid for. Volunteering not rewarded. No recognition, no employee of the month, no incentives to sell the stupid credit card. High expectations and poor treatment. Shipment team gets the worst of it. Be ready to do store moves at five am. Yes, lifting shelving carrying fifty pounds working hard... At five am. But don't be one minute late, or you will be fired! Okay?! Yeah, did I mention the management yet? Ugh. Condescending. Smarmy. Gossipy. Cliquey and catty. Maybe because they're all in their early twenties. I'm older than the store manager! No advancement. Promises made are unfulfilled. You will be lied straight to your face. But do call Gap Code. Cos they totally care. . Just DON'T. PERIOD.

Advice to Management

Why bother? They don't listen.