There are newer employer reviews for Old Navy

Seasonal employee, long hours, forgot to lay me off .

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Valencia, CA
Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Valencia, CA

I worked at Old Navy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of hours. Seasonal employment was good for getting my foot in the door for other jobs. Good employee discount for Old Navy, Gap, and Banana Republic.

Cons

Spent many nights recovering store until 3AM, even the night before finals. Unrealistic expectations for clean up after holidays. Many employees had to find shortcuts around fixing everything up. Typical management favoritism. Forgot to give me an end of the season lay off letter. Didn't know I didn't work there anymore until I stopped being scheduled. Awkward because Old Navy isn't even an ex-boyfriend.

Advice to Management

Train better. Don't assign just one person to two different departments and expect everything to get done. Treat all employees equally and not as disposable because they are seasonal.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Set up to fail.

Former Employee - Merchandising Specialist
    Former Employee - Merchandising Specialist

I worked at Old Navy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

--Decent employee discount that extends to all arms of Gap, Inc.

--Many of the sales associates were great and made the job tolerable.

Cons

--Work full-time hours for what is technically considered a part-time position

--Only negative feedback from management, when feedback was provided at all.

--Other management members allowed to make their own schedules at will, but the merchandise specialist is expected to work their properly scheduled shift and extra.

--Was told upon hiring there were supposed to be 2 people in my position, and that they were going to be hiring someone else. It never happened, leaving all the responsibility to fall on me, especially if shipment wasn't completed in the absurdly short time period allotted. Was told later that the previous person who held my position left for this very reason.

--Merchandising Specialist is supposed to work with the Assistant GM of Merchandising. It really is just a fancy title for running the stockroom, for which there already is a Stockroom Specialist.

--Any merchandising made--which I was told I just needed to consult with the AGM before doing it--was never "correct" in the AGM's eyes. Was eventually told not to make any merchandising moves unless given explicit instruction, even when stock levels demanded change.

--Training for my position wasn't real training, but "on the fly." As a member of management, expected to just know all policies and procedures without proper training, then would get reprimanded for not knowing proper procedures.

--Pushing people to open a credit card during each transaction is uncomfortable, particularly in a bad economic climate. Expectations for applications unrealistic based on customer traffic and transactions.

--Schedule published on Fridays for the following Sunday. This makes it nearly impossible to plan anything outside of work on short notice, which is especially difficult when one has a family.

--Management preaches being aware of everyone on the sales floor, yet spends much of the time in the office chit-chatting, leaving little to no floor coverage.

Advice to Management

Instead of acting like a high school clique that treats all others horribly because they aren't part of the in-crowd--including talking bad about other members of management and associates behind their backs IN FRONT of other associates--start actually emerging from the back room and pay attention to what is actually happening in the store in terms of both customers and associates. If you're so concerned with CES numbers being below company average, stop blaming all the associates for your failure to recognize that you, too, need to be on the salesfloor as leaders. You manage by example, not by dictation. Associates will work harder if you show them a bit more positive reinforcement and by proving to them that you are willing to work to help them out. That means you need to stop micro-managing everything from the office and practice what you preach.

2. Company slowly digging its own grave by being pushy on its associates.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Old Navy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic discounts.
    Love my team!
    Can move up with time, luck, and some good ol' brown nosing.

Cons

Unrealistic sales goals.
    Pressure to push for credit cards.
    More "on-call" rather than part-time.
    Often relying on picking up shifts during the slow months.
    Frequent transfers of managers. Once you get acquainted, they're off to another store.
    Pressure to not get another job, although there is never enough hours on payroll to give everyone at least 15 hrs a week.

Advice to Management

Stop fighting with one another and competing for each other's jobs.
    Show your associates appreciation.
    Allow everyone an opportunity for growth.