Blah.

Former Employee - Cash Handler in Memphis, TN
Former Employee - Cash Handler in Memphis, TN

I worked at Old Navy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people and the discount are the only reasons to work here. Made many friends. 25% off regular price items for Old Navy, 50% off at the Gap.

Cons

Prepare to deal with angry and rude customers, shoplifters, and internal theft issues. The hours they put you through during the holidays are awful. Black Friday I worked from 11pm to 8:30am with only a 30 minute break. I had to beg for a bathroom break after 5 hours of constant standing at the cashwrap ringing out customers.

Advice to Management

Back your employees; no one should have to be verbally abused by customers (usually over company policy of which the employee has no control).

reviews filtered by

I love working for Old Navy, Gapinc. is a great company to work for.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Paramus, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Paramus, NJ

I have been working at Old Navy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The managers and employees are very casual and allowed to express themselves. Old Navy does not discriminate at all and the staff is very diverse. They give good hours and are very organized. You meet with a manager at the beginning of your shift and they go over sales with you as well as how many Old Navy Cards we still need. They tell you what department you are in and you get to work. You get great discounts at Gap, Banana, and Old Navy.

Cons

It is hard to be promoted, there are team leaders which is more or less a key holder. Those people work the most hours and have been with the company for a long time, they most likely are going to continue to stay with the company and keep their position.

Advice to Management

There should be a solid raise every year with the company, if it is understood that there was a 25 cent raise every year for example it would definitely be an incentive for employees to stay with the company.

Depends on the Store Manager

Former Employee - Supervisor in Fayetteville, GA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Fayetteville, GA

I worked at Old Navy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for, offers reasonable opportunity for advancement. Nice employee discount and benefits for full time associates

Cons

Store politics. Each store's management team and spirit varies. The first store I worked in was with a talented management team, I was promoted within three months from part time to a full time manager. This store had a fantastic supportive management team.
    In the second store, the store manager promoted dissension within the management team, did not support promoting and mentoring from within her own store.

Advice to Management

When redistricting, consider personal experience. When a regional district manager steps down to a district manager position due to restructuring, it may not always be the right choice for her or the company.
    When calls are made to your hotline, listen and really keep it confidential! It takes a lot of courage to call, and some managers will retaliate.