Old Republic Title

www.ortc.com
  www.ortc.com
There are newer employer reviews for Old Republic Title

"Temp-to-hire" is a much longer wait than you'd expect...

Current Employee - Escrow Assistant in Akron, OH
Current Employee - Escrow Assistant in Akron, OH

I have been working at Old Republic Title as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Laid-back atmosphere, you can come and go as you please as long as you get your work done and don't overdo it. People take smoke breaks whenever they feel like it and go outside for walks several times a day. Management doesn't really care or take notice of it. Management is on break half the time anyways.
Benefits are pretty good (IF you get hired on as a permanent/full-time employee). Once you finally get hired on, they start you with 3 weeks vacation, 401K, healthcare, PTO, etc.
If you get hired on, you can work from home. We have people who live many states away but still work on our team. This luxury is not afforded to each and every full-time employee, though. They seem to be selective about who gets to work from home - I think you need to have argue a pretty good reason why you need to work from home.

Cons

If you get hired on as a temp, they will tell you that after the 90 day temporary hire period is up, they can either hire you on, or if you're not a good fit, they will dismiss you. What they DON'T tell you is that most of the people who work in the office start out as temps. When the temporary status is up, most often they will let you continue to work there as a temp without hiring you on. They only hire a small amount of people a few times a year. SO, many people end up working 9-12 months or more before becoming a permanent employee. This allows them to work you without benefits or paid time off. It can definitely become very frustrating. Management and upper management will email me or personally tell me what a good job I am doing and how impressed they are every couple of weeks or so, but there seems to be no hope or communication as to whether I will ever be hired on. I have even spent time TRAINING two girls in my department who started a year before me and are already hired on. They train me on how to do new things above my job description but do not pay me anything extra nor do they give me a new title. I have been here 7 months and am now searching for a new job because I have had enough and KNOW that I deserve more somewhere else. All in all, not a bad place to work, but just be wary that you may have to use ORT as a stepping stone to a better job.

Pay better attention to who is performing well on your teams and who is working for the betterment of the team. Some people work very hard and are the first to volunteer to help on issues, each and every time. Others, who are already hired on, consistently produce inferior work with numerous mistakes and rarely offer to help on files. Supervisors and upper management need to communicate with each other better, also.

33 Other Employee Reviews for Old Republic Title (View Most Recent)

Lackluster

Current Employee - Account Executive in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Old Republic Title

Pros

Company had strong financial standings. Everyone I worked with was warm and helpful with training. Branch office is very understanding and supportive management when it came to personal issues or heatlh issues. You where never question if time off was needed.

Cons

I felt I was set up to fail. Real Estate industry is very much a referral/networking type industry, and unless you know a lot of people in Real Estate it is very hard to get up and running as a new sales person. Overall the leadership team had very litle experiance when it came to the growth and development of its employees. THere was also very limited growth oppurtunities within the company. There where a lot of promises about income potential that didnt quite pan out once I started working there, as the commission structure immediatly changed with little warning.

Take the time to invest in your sales force, and not just in your Escrow Offiicers.

I found most of my colleagues lazy and unprofessional.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Old Republic Title

Pros

BIg company with health benefits and 401k.

Cons

Unprofessional climate in my office.

Pay closer attention to the smaller regional offices.

There are newer employer reviews for Old Republic Title