Ollie’s Bargain Outlet

www.olliesbargainoutlet.com
  www.olliesbargainoutlet.com
There are newer employer reviews for Ollie’s Bargain Outlet

average job for minimun pay

Former Employee - Cashier in Cressona, PA
Former Employee - Cashier in Cressona, PA

I worked at Ollie’s Bargain Outlet

Pros

Fairly laid back atmosphere with friendly employees.

Cons

The scheduling is not as flexible as I was told it would be when I was hired. The management is not too keen on giving time off even when there is a good reason.

I would tell them that they should be more understanding to their employees, because without us they wouldn't have a business.

55 Other Employee Reviews for Ollie’s Bargain Outlet (View Most Recent)

low end retail experience

Former Employee - Department Manager in Quakertown, PA
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Quakertown, PA

I worked at Ollie’s Bargain Outlet

Pros

its a low stress job that can give good experience to entry level retail. Supervisors are usually understanding and work with employees.

Cons

messy working environment and needs to be cleaner. Buyers purchase some poor choices that just do not sell. little accountability for employees.

clean up the workplace. The visual appearance of the stores can give the wrong impression to both employees and customers.

Do your homework

Former Employee - Store Team Leader
    Former Employee - Store Team Leader

I worked at Ollie’s Bargain Outlet full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I was a former Store Team Leader and worked my up from being a Sales Team Leader the first 6 months I was with Ollie's. Ollie's will consistently tout for STL's to be creative and truly run the business if it was your own. The company is all about growth and putting programs in place to bring out the "promote from within" culture. I believe Ollie's has good intentions, but does not take into consideration that "rapid growth" can become a recipe for disaster. I had a good career with the company, but a lot of bad writing was building up on the wall and ended up leaving.

Cons

The company again touts creativity and front line ownership, however, you are heavily micromanaged with silly tasks for errors that could have been easily avoided, having to flip flop displays constantly because the buyers fight for real estate in the store on a daily basis, and having to do multiple audit check off lists that contradict one another. In a nut shell, Ollie's is very reactive to issues, not proactive by any means. Do not even get one customer complaint because the company will NOT back you up no matter what the reason may be....this is no joke. The company as well scaled back dramatically on bonuses and raises because of the high amount of new store openings, which ends up penalizing the existing hard working STL's and their Assistants. Turnover is very high for management and the company keeps questioning why good people are leaving. Ollie's as well loves to make STL's and Assistants drive to multiple failing locations to fix broken stores. Don't let your existing store though fall behind because you will get the third degree.

The company needs to step back and look at why they are losing talented managers. When you start to micromanage well trusted employees, but consistently preach front line ownership, mixed messages are sent and running one of these stores become very undesirable. Ollie's as well needs to stop promoting non worthy candidates into management positions. A great freight pusher does not make a great manager. The rapid growth is eventually going to sink this company. They are running too lean, many stores suffer from very high shrink due to poor management, and a lot of the store management teams in general are very weak, including some DTL's. Mark my words, this company will be lucky to be around in the next 5-10 years.

There are newer employer reviews for Ollie’s Bargain Outlet