Olympic Steel

Bittersweet

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Milford, CT
Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Milford, CT

I worked at Olympic Steel

Pros

Convenient location, pay and benefits are decent

Cons

Terrible professionalism, highschool-style office environment (gossip, clicks, dog eat dog, etc.)
This is not a place you can be proud of, unless running over and throwing co-workers under the bus works for you. The company does not train any level of management on how to supervise or manage, instead just promotes to position w/o the formal training needed to handle people pf diff. genders, ages, and /or races. Very male-dominated company, with a very aggressive, and sometimes volatile environment. Really keeps you uneasy, unless you become part of the many small clicks within (smh).

Train from up down on all levels. Managers and supervisors alike, should be reqquired to have training in becoming a supervisor or manager. Team meetings would also be helpful, to ensure every1 is on same page, and communication is clear.

18 Other Employee Reviews for Olympic Steel (View Most Recent)

horrible

Former Employee - Shophelp in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Shophelp in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Olympic Steel

Pros

pays well hourly and good vacation time

Cons

crappy profit sharing and everyone is out for themselves so no one works together. also company has some bad rules. its all designed to screw you in the end

do the job that your lesser employees do and then you can talk and say you know what they go thru

Great team

I worked at Olympic Steel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Advancedment, educational, and team opportunties available to those who want to work hard, be accountable and have ideas.
    I was able to be part of a great team that valued ideas. Manager with an open door. And resources always at hand. I grew greatly in my field and enjoyed my time there.

Cons

There were limits at each location for promotions. Though plenty of education opportunties if you worked hard. If you were willing to relocate or change careers there were more opportunties.

Continue to work on growing in house employees and see their potential.

There are newer employer reviews for Olympic Steel