Olympus Corporation of the Americas

www.olympusamerica.com
  www.olympusamerica.com
There are newer employer reviews for Olympus Corporation of the Americas

Good product mix depending on the division you sell in

Former Employee - Sales Representative
Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Cutting edge products for surgeons.

Cons

Constantly changing the products sales reps sell. Too hard a line on discounting in a very competitive market where surgeons are often forced to compromise with hospital management on the price of the devices they recommend.

Stabilize the company soon. No more drip drip drip

113 Other Employee Reviews for Olympus Corporation of the Americas (View Most Recent)

Medical Systems Group

Former Employee - Endoscope Technician Associate
    Former Employee - Endoscope Technician Associate

I worked at Olympus Corporation of the Americas full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent benefits, good corporate policies ranging from communications to environmental. My understanding is that it's a good company to be part of, but only as long as you're in the right location. The regional service center I worked in was not the right location.

Cons

Many minor benefits are location-specific to corporate HQ in Pennsylvania and no equivalents are offered at smaller locations. While this is due to practical realities, it still made me feel that those of us in the smaller locations were regarded as less important since no effort was made to make up for it in other ways.

Also in my specific location there were problems with our branch manager's style of leadership, and with inadequate training. The amount of business we dealt with was growing rapidly due to consolidation of service centers and so by the time I left there were four technicians with 8-13 years experience and who knew everything, and six more who were all new and needed to learn everything. A technician cannot perform a repair until a trainer has signed-off that the technician has learned the repair to an acceptable level of proficiency, but due to the rapidly-grown workload there was insufficient time and resources to perform the needed training.

The pay was a major disappointment. Senior techs made quite good pay, but those of us who hadn't been there for many years did not. It was comparable to what I made previously at a very small (and notoriously cheap) family-owned business. This really does not reflect well of a major corporation that prides itself on the treatment of its employees. By the time I left, my skills and abilities and knowledge had all dramatically increased but my compensation had not.

The employee-review system and Management By Objective system was over-detailed and quite exhaustive, and ultimately as the employee, I felt that it didn't really amount to much. It documented that I continually improved as am employee but this was never reflected in compensation or any other means.

I did hope to move into a field-service position within the company but the employees in those positions are generally happy enough that they stay in them, so the positions never open. I would consider returning to Olympus in such a position, probably with a different division of the company and in a different geographic location, at a future time.

Compensation for less-senior employees needs to be better, and it needs to increase often-enough to encourage the employee. Make promotions and raises possible at any time, not just once a year after the review process.

And while few companies have the courage to do this, it would be very beneficial if Olympus would institute a system for underlings to evaluate their managers, and for it to have some weight.

Overall Good Memories at Olympus!

I have been working at Olympus Corporation of the Americas

Pros

Great people and work environment. Benefits are descent besides the health insurance ( you kind of get screwed in that aspect) . If you work hard enough and prove yourself they will funnel you to the top!

Cons

There was a lot of miscommunication and he said she said business. You really can't give advice to upper management.

There are newer employer reviews for Olympus Corporation of the Americas