The pay is low and not many pay increases are given.

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ombudsman Educational Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You get to see students accomplish goals.

Cons

Children with server mental and behavior issues not properly being addressed.

Think of the children not the school district.

Other Reviews for Ombudsman Educational Services

What a mess.

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Ombudsman Educational Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoyed working one-on-one with most of my students, and I enjoyed working as a team with other teachers. Also, you can have a life outside of your job, because you do not need to take work home or plan many lessons.

Cons

The centers are an absolute mess, because upper management (operations managers and up) care more about pleasing the district than pleasing their employees. As a result, employee morale is low, and because the pay is also low, employee turnover is frequent. I stayed with Ombudsman for an entire school year, because I didn't want to send the message to my students that I was giving up on them. Otherwise, I would have quit much sooner. I also didn't want to leave my direct co-workers (other teachers and center director) who were always respectful and supportive. But because you can find much higher paying teaching positions--even in a down economy--and because the environment is so stressful and chaotic, many teachers came and went, and I really can't blame them.

My job here was less about teaching and more about babysitting and breaking up fights. Ombudsman told us during training that fights are a rare occurrence. False. At one point during the year, fights were daily. I was personally assaulted on at least two occasions, and two of my co-workers were as well. We were understaffed--a staff of only three, and that's three for everything (including cleaning bathrooms)--and students took advantage. Needs of special ed students were NOT met, because Ombudsman and/or the district did not want to pay for parapros until the end of the year. Security officers were not hired until late in the year, either. There are no metal detectors and very few security measures; Ombudsman's excuse for this is that "it's not an issue at most centers," but the reality is that they don't want to pay for it. The strategy most frequently suggested for discipline issues was to send students home and conduct a re-intake, but this posed a problem given that such a high population of our students were special ed, and could therefore not be sent home. If you have to call the police because you have an issue that warrants it, be prepared for your operations manager or corporate to point the finger at you and ask why you couldn't handle it. They're frankly more concerned with keeping Ombudsman's name out of the media than the safety of their employees or students.

When I began working for this company, it was very hard to find reviews on Glassdoor or elsewhere. They must have a good PR team, because there was very little in the media, and not even a Wikipedia article. I'm glad to see there are now some honest reviews on Glassdoor, and hopefully if you're considering working for Ombudsman, you now have a better understanding of what you're getting into.

If you don't pay your employees what they're worth, they WILL leave, and all of the money you've spent on training them will go down the drain, too. Prioritize the needs of students and teachers over your constant fear that the district won't renew their contract. Stop touting your corporate cars, hotels, and iPhones and spend more money on improving conditions for your teachers. Better centers will come with it. If you fail to do this, your success as a company will be short-lived.

Center director was good to work for but corporate management was non-existent.

I worked at Ombudsman Educational Services

Pros

Lessons are computer based making it efficient to teach several grades at the same session.

Cons

Lack of teacher computers made it difficult to complete work. Lack of privacy made it difficult to have confidential conversations with staff, students, and guardians.

Treat your teachers as if they matter.

There are newer employer reviews for Ombudsman Educational Services.

Worked for Ombudsman Educational Services? Contribute to the Community!