Ombudsman Educational Services

www.ombudsman.com
  www.ombudsman.com
There are newer employer reviews for Ombudsman Educational Services

Only work here if you are desperate!

Current Employee - "teacher" In A Chicago Suburb in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - "teacher" In A Chicago Suburb in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ombudsman Educational Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Helping students who might otherwise drop out school.

Cons

This is what is says on their website.
ESA respects all employees and makes a commitment to:
· Provide them with the necessary tools needed for performance, success and advancement;
· Provide compensation and benefits that enhance their quality of life;
· Encourage creative expression in their chosen profession; and
· Provide leadership while encouraging individual participation in the achievement of our company’s mission.
None of this is true! You will receive no respect from upper management. You will need to beg for the tools you need to be successful. Your compensation will start very low and you will never get a raise. There has been one very small raise in the many years I’ve been here and it didn’t come close to the inflation rate, so your quality of life will go down more each year you work here. The only time you will be doing the work that matches your pay is when you are unplugging a toilet or shoveling snow (yes, you will need to do these things as well as clean the bathrooms). You will not be allowed much creative expression as the way you “teach” and how the curriculum is structured is all pre-packaged. You will not participate in any company decision as to how to achieve the mission. You will not be consulted and when you volunteer an idea you will be ignored.
You are little more than a tutor and the only reason they hire certified teachers is so they can market that feature to school districts. Everything sounds good on paper, but it is all geared toward selling the program to districts. Since there is no leadership from upper management anyone in the Libertyville office can come up with a new thing for the centers to do and you are expect to get even more out of the students in the same three hours a day.
Only take this job if you can’t find anything else.

Show some respect to your employees and compensate them like professionals or you will end up with the bottom of the barrel.

25 Other Employee Reviews for Ombudsman Educational Services (View Most Recent)

The worst professional experience of my life

Current Employee - Peasant in Libertyville, IL
    Current Employee - Peasant in Libertyville, IL

I have been working at Ombudsman Educational Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Your able to help kids turn their

Cons

Teachers, social workers, and whoever else thats not in management are paid as if they don't have life expenses. Pay is very, very, low but to top it off you can work there for 5 years and still never receive a par increase. The senior management from operations managers on up treat employees as if they don't matter. They're too concerned about getting another district contract and big pay out and then never reimbursing the staff who's in the trenches with the students on a daily basis. They're philosophy is that the students matter, but if you as an employee bring anything to their attention that would better help the students then they pretend as if it can't happen. Most of their centers are in disarray and are poorly run, i.e., students with their feet kicked up on the desk, listening to ipods, cussing and swearing, at fellow students and staff, and students walking around with hats on. The operations managers who are over these centers do a poor job of managing them and covering their butts as to make it look like everything is under control. If don't believe me then visit one of these centers for yourself. I would definitely suggest this to all "district partners" as they call them. You rarely receive any kudos, or positive feedback from senior management, but they are quick to ask you questions about your ideas and take them and claim them as their own ideas. Overall the work environment is not welcoming and not acknowledging of its hardworking employees. I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy, okay on second thought maybe I would.

No advice to give, they have it all under control....(I'm being sarcastic)

The pay is low and not many pay increases are given.

Current Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL

Pros

You get to see students accomplish goals.

Cons

Children with server mental and behavior issues not properly being addressed.

Think of the children not the school district.

There are newer employer reviews for Ombudsman Educational Services