Omni Hotels

www.omnihotels.com

DO NOT WORK HERE!!!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Richmond, VA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Pros

It is a three star hotel. You meet great people.

Cons

The managers do not respect you at all. They build the position up and let you believe you are going to make a ton of money and then you don't even make minimum wage. They do not appropriately train you and let you learn on your own, but they expect you to give four diamond service. They do not give you the tools you need to do your job. They do not care about any issues you experience while working here, because they can easily replace you with a sad sap who thinks the place is great (takes about two months for them to figure it out). They have a high turn over rate, which means that the people who do work here dont want to. My advice to a future applicant: DO NOT APPLY HERE!!! and if you don't believe me, go to the Omni Richmond and ask the workers if they like their jobs. Ask more than one person, they will tell you.

Other reviews for Omni Hotels

Low Standards

Current Employee - Guest Service Agent  in  Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Guest Service Agent in Richmond, VA

Pros

Great room discounts and opportunity to go above and beyond for guest.

Cons

One of their biggest beliefs which is promote within is rarely utilized, lack of training, complacent which subpar standards

"It was a job"

Former Employee - Server  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Server in Charlotte, NC

Pros

A perk I enjoyed when working within the hotels was the low-cost meals the hotel provided for the employees.
    I also utilized the employee discount when vacationing with my wife a few times during my employment.

Cons

Lack of diversity in management
    Lack of upward mobility within the company
    Ambiguity in policy and procedures that often work in favor of the employer
    Non-competitive wages
    High cost to insure employee/spouse and/or family

Perhaps it was just the Omni that I worked in, but there were several areas in which I felt the company could have done better. Some of the areas that need improvement are as follows:

Proper leadership training:

Problem-While employees were directed to utilize good communication skills and encouraged to effectively manage conflict with customers, the same was not enforced for managers when dealing with employees. The management style was often like they were trying to build the plane while flying it in the air. The lack of congruence in the adherence to policy and procedures led to the exodus of many employees including myself.

Solution- Perhaps training and/or team-building activities for those in management that focus on diversity inclusion, effective communication, leadership styles, effectively managing conflict in the workplace, and learning how to be a person of influence (rather than more of a dictator). Also, change happens from the top down and I had a GM that maybe spoke to me 10 times during my entire employment. He was a man of very few words, when he actually spoke to the employees. Modeling qualities of an effective leader have to come from the top down, so from the GM to HR to mid and line management, the qualities they see in employees should be modeled.

Open door policy:

Problem- While it may be noted within the employee handbook, during my 3 years of employment at the Omni Hotel, myself and most of my co-workers often felt unable to go to anyone in management about issues or concerns for fear of backlash. The environment was not one of open, honest communication, rather it was a suck it up and deal with it in order to keep your job.

Solution: To foster a culture of open and honest feedback, as well as to allow employees a chance to air their grievances in an appropriate and respectful manner, managers should maintain confidentiality. If management truly desires to know what employees need (not just desire) to effectively perform their job duties, the employee must feel that their concerns will be handled with integrity and they must not have a fear of employer retaliation in doing so (which was the case most times at the Omni I worked at).

There are newer employer reviews for Omni Hotels.

Worked for Omni Hotels? Contribute to the Community!