There are newer employer reviews for Omni Hotels

Wonderful people who value hard work

Former Employee - Guest Service Agent in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Guest Service Agent in Austin, TX

I worked at Omni Hotels part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-team members are like family
-no matter what position you have, you are valued
-raises are available often, if you work hard
-promotions are common

Cons

n/a I can't think of a negative thing to say about my time there.

reviews filtered by
  1. Working for Omni has and continues to be an exceptional experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Omni Hotels full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunity for personal and professional growth, networking, the people who work here are like family, the exceptional customer service, people take pride in their jobs, opportunity to move around the country, never a dull moment in the hospitality business.

Cons

people are always moving around and up in the company - can be a Pro AND a Con.

Advice to Management

remain positive-

2. Disinterested and non-supportive management made a difficult job hellish

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Asheville, NC

I worked at Omni Hotels part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I heard employee discount for golf was great. With the exception of the Spa, it seems very hard to get fired (because they're perpetually under-staffed). The employee cafeteria is super cheap, but mostly gross (except for the soups, for whatever reason). The co-workers are some of the most wonderful, dedicated, and competent people I've ever met. Too bad GPI can't see that.

Cons

The pay was so poor, I was on food stamps while working there to make ends meet. Spa misrepresented their salaries. People are often not trained before going live, burden of training going to the poor soul scheduled with them. In the Spa, specifically, they play favorites: I saw one girl be fired for eating an apple in non-designated space (but not in front of a guest), but many other people would no call/no show for multiple days with no ramifications. Transferring within GPI is very difficult; paperwork and forms are routinely lost. Most of the employees were working 40 hours, but designated as PT so they wouldn't be eligible for benefits. I had friends in the cafe who were working almost 10 hour shifts with no lunch break, let alone restroom break (NC labor laws do not require lunch breaks below 10 hours). Parking is ALWAYS an issue, and they were further restricting the available options when I was leaving. There's barely ever a positive word given, or any thanks and acknowledgement. Everything is shrouded, so bad news is sprung on the employee, like management doesn't trust the people in its employ. On the whole, departments behave like adversaries, so it's difficult to get outside help and communication is non-existent.

And finally, management is often not there (depending on the department...and I held 9 different concurrent jobs in my three years there), or they're giving you false information. Anything from applying for a transfer to utilizing an employee discount is wrought with miscommunication and dead ends, so getting anything done is frustrating. There were also off-color jokes and very uncomfortable moments, regularly, and when it was pointed out as inappropriate the managers tended to point out how it was a joke, and how people were too sensitive, and it was a grey area so our concerns were invalid. Most managers I met there seem super nice, but lie and manipulate to avoid responsibility. This is likely due to THEM being overworked, since it's wide-spread behavior, but then that is an issue with upper management.

Advice to Management

GPI used to be something special, but now it breaks people. There needs to be more inter-departmental communication. And I don't know how you train your management, but that might need to be re-evaluated, because GPI's turn-over is FAR too high. Transparency with the company would instil a sense of trust and respect, and reduce occurrences of favoritism and inconsistency. Encouraging respect and valuing the employee would go a long way, and create employee loyalty thereby reducing turn-over and training costs. That saved money could go to paying employees a living wage, which in turn would attract better applicants. And, if I could really dream, an employee parking garage would solve all the parking issues, for both employees and guests.

As a GPI employee, we're told about world class service and the Omni value of mirroring treatment. I sincerely hope Omni actually lives it's values, and works to rectify the VAST discrepancy in treatment.