On-Site.com

www.on-site.com
  www.on-site.com
There are newer employer reviews for On-Site.com

Very family-friendly, very stable for a small company

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at On-Site.com

Pros

40 hours a week is fine. Most people have families, and spend time with them. They're not VC-backed, but strongly profitable, and thus very stable. It's a small engineering team (15 people) without requiring crazy startup hours. The engineers are big on open source and free-time work.

Cons

It's a real estate company, not a software company, in culture. The company is too small to have many rockstars, or really good mentoring. No stock options or other "pay in lottery tickets."

More frequent performance reviews would be a really good thing. It'd be nice to have more formal training and learning activities, or other chances to grow technically (at work -- we already do at home). Mostly, though, you're doing quite well.

14 Other Employee Reviews for On-Site.com (View Most Recent)

Growing and solid software company open to new ideas

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at On-Site.com

Pros

Relaxed work environment in a nice area in Silicon Valley. Management team is approachable and competent, products are popular and they are growing very fast. Salaries are good.

Cons

No ability for customer service staff to work from home. Communication from management could be better. More education and ongoing training would be nice.

Develop regular communication with all employees about "big picture" plans. Plan more company events for employees beyond the summer BBQ and holiday party.

I liked working here.

I worked at On-Site.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked closely with both Engineering and the CEO, and sometimes with the support team also. I liked everyone I worked with very much. It was fun, at least for me. It is true there are managers who are inexperienced. This is the flip side of promoting from within, which how these managers became managers.

The CEO can appear to be unapproachable, but I always found that if I jumped in the office with a problem, he listened, was receptive and helpful, and addressed it. I think several remarks made in other reviews are very unjust. I really liked the CEO and all of the management. I enjoyed working for them.

At the time I was working here, I was paid in the top range of my field at the time. My reviews were regular and helpful, and raises were generous.

Cons

The business operates similarly to a start-up, though they are now established in their market. Everyone works hard. Comp time was frowned on, but when I asked for it, I always got it.

When I was there, Engineering development happened without anything I would now consider to be minimal QA.

Leadership didn't communicate well with each other or to the team as a whole. This really hurt the business, both in terms of morale, and in leading to decisions that were bad for the team, product and brand.

Most of the executive team became the executive team while they were at this company. They have not taken management classes, or worked in other companies where they would learn management norms or how good and bad management looks to an employee. However, they are good people who are interested in running a good business - ultimately are succeeding in running a good business. So if you're interested in being a part of that, this will be a good place for you.

(Thumbs up for the perks!)

Weekly or every-other-weekly meetings, even just a stand-up, with the entire team to let them know how the business is doing and whatever is going on week to week would really have helped during the time I was there. When people don't know why any decision has been made, the decision looks random. Decisions that seem random always seem bad. So when you don't communicate, it seems to your team that you are making random, bad decisions. That ultimately erodes trust and satisfaction for your team.

Don't focus exclusively on feature development, and start streamlining the product and code base. Some recent products out there that have fewer features work a lot better.

A real QA team that can set up and maintain automated testing is way overdue, if one hasn't been established.

There are newer employer reviews for On-Site.com