There are newer employer reviews for On The Border

This Location Was a Great Place to Work, Where I Got my Server "Chops!"

Former Employee - Server in Mount Laurel, NJ
Former Employee - Server in Mount Laurel, NJ

I worked at On The Border

Pros

The management really made a point to congratulate us when doing a stellar job. They named an employee of the month, and although it sounds cheesy, it really raised moral at our meetings and gave those of us who cared something to strive for. There was an opportunity to make decent money at dinner shifts and a lot of corporate types come for lunch from the Atrium and TD Bank offices next door. The commradery of employees was amazing. Some of my closest friendships to this dat were formed at OTB. We still go back for drinks and food, and many of the employees still work there so that says something!

Cons

Sometimes, especially weekend lunch shifts and mid-week dinners, there were too many people staffed and very few customers. They don't have much of a screening process so some of the employees hired didn't have any experience (annoying but okay) or were very lazy/drugged up (not okay). I had one problem with sexual harassment from a member of the kitchen staff but it was handled quickly and empathetically by the general manager.

Keep up the good work! The leadership at OTB was always professional and cared for the employees when I was there. It would be nice to have more in-house opportunities for growth though.

63 Other Employee Reviews for On The Border (View Most Recent)

good for young college students, flexible work schedule

Current Employee - Server in Lawrence, KS
    Current Employee - Server in Lawrence, KS

I have been working at On The Border

Pros

flexible work schedule, generally helpful staff

Cons

salary based on tips. it's not an upscale restaurant so ticket prices average less than 50 bucks. no auto-gratuity included. unfortunately, a high percentage of the population do not know what a good tip is, even if you're the best server they've ever had-according to them, not you! 20% is barely sufficient anymore. So, if you cannot afford to tip a sufficient amount then you cannot afford to eat out. period.

positive reinforcement, not negative.

Great experience

I worked at On The Border

Pros

I had a great GM, who actually cared about my personal life. made sure I had time with my family

Cons

There was no upward mobility. No chances of ever getting promoted. bonus plan could have been a little better than it was

I would suggest that management would spend more time in the store. Its not a 8-5 job. even a GM needs to work at night

There are newer employer reviews for On The Border