There are newer employer reviews for OnTrac

Worst company I ever worked for!!!!

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in San Bruno, CA
Former Employee - Delivery Driver in San Bruno, CA

I worked at OnTrac full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They'll hire just about anyone who has a pulse!

Cons

I used to joke that they were just like Fedex & UPS but with much lower pay and no benefits. They illegally made all their drivers independent contractors in 2002 when the Teamsters Union contract expired-they said take it or find another job! The Labor Board ruled in 2006 that DELIVERY companies couldn't make their DELIVERY drivers independent contractors. They've been sued countless times for unfair practices: no overtime, not giving lunch breaks,etc. Management seemed clueless about customer service-it was up to us in the field to work around the customer's desire for an earlier or later pick-up time and most drivers were too overworked to care. The only reason they're still in business is the lower prices compared to the REAL overnight delivery companies! I could write a book on how God-awful this company truly is! I wouldn't recommend them to ANYONE-not as an employer or delivery service!

Advice to Management

A company is ONLY as good as the way management treats their employees. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to realize that: When employees are treated like dirt, morale is low. When morale is low, customer service suffers greatly. When customer service suffers greatly, customers go ELSEWHERE. DUH!!!!! Then to make up for lost revenue, they cut hours and combine routes so that the drivers are even MORE overworked and MORE likely to get in accidents-which means insurance rates go up,up,up!!! THAT giant sucking sound you hear is the company GOING DOWN THE DRAIN!!! I wasted 8 years of my life working for this company and talked to many supervisors about the myriad problems we had to deal with. It didn't change anything then and it won't now due to the corporate mindset. This company will eventually fail unless they get some people to turn it around, starting with treating EVERY employee with dignity and respect. IT'S NOT GONNA HAPPEN!!!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

OnTrac could be so much more!!

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at OnTrac full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There is a huge amount of growth potential for this company. I appreciate the opportunities that OnTrac provided for me. Some very good people and talented managers work for this company. Their ideas can be a huge benefit to the company...

Cons

...The problem is that upper management has no interest in listening to any of them or showing appreciation for their efforts and they don't understand what loyalty means. They rule with fear, so to speak and want only "Yes" men to put a square peg in a round hole. Their model is for the bottom line - as it should be - but not only do they often do it at the expense of alienating their lower managers, employees and contractors, they do it at the expense of their customers too, making decisions to boost revenue, for example, even if they know the system can't handle it - which therefore hurts the product to the customer. And then the blame the crew for failing. They believe that these types of issues will bring in more revenue then it will drive away so they feel the expense is worth it. They know what they're doing!! It's a shame they don't invest more - financially and emotionally - into their workers. It's been proven that loyalty like that produces happier workers which produces better productivity which improves on the bottom line.

Advice to Management

Pay for a company wide 360 anonymous survey and ask tough questions about yourselves and see what you get for answers. You likely will not like what you see - But be humble and be willing to make the changes to improve that opinion of you and you can grow stronger and more productive. The profits will come - along with a better reputation in the market. Everyone will win.

Terrible dead-end job.

Former Employee - PM Sorter in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - PM Sorter in Reno, NV

I worked at OnTrac part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent first job. Not terrible pay. Ability to get forklift certified. Few good managers. Occasional worker appreciation

Cons

7-7.5 hour days with no breaks not even a mandatory 15. Unqualified management who promotes new employees with absolutely no experience to lead positions. No opportunities for advancement as an employee of 2 years I never once got a raise and I showed up on time every day never missed a day and exceeded the ridiculous expectations they had for completing the job. The rest of their sorters are disrespectful kids fresh out of high school who constantly start fights and argue with each other and have no aspirations of moving up or getting the job done. I have never seen the place go more than 10 days without an accident because of the incredible amount of packages that are pushed through non stop making the workers lift wrong or put them in dangerous situations. Also seen dozens of forklift accidents because of unqualified drivers who do not even have a license to drive a car. Needless to say this place needs a lot of work in order to function properly because many days their trucks leave late or leave many packages behind. During holiday months the amount of work nearly triples and they give less time to complete the daily sort meaning lower morale for the workers and more chances to get hurt especially when the belt systems constantly fail and the sorters have to move everything by hand. Workers get blamed for all problems including trucks showing up late and belt systems going offline. The place certainly needs a change in management or at least a random OSHA inspection.

Advice to Management

Employ workers who are willing to do the job. Hire competent management who has experience with warehouse work. Give breaks to employees. Hire less temp employees and more direct hire employees.