There are newer employer reviews for OneWest Bank

Difficult to feel accomplished here

Former Employee - Supervisor in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Supervisor in Austin, TX

I worked at OneWest Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good bonus, if you are in upper management AND are friends with the boss. Good benefits. Big cafeteria. ATM on site.

Cons

Call center agents get treated the worst and don't even know what is expected of them to earn a bonus. Inconsistencies are all-around. Total lack of communication. Difficult to get vacation/time off. Preferential treatment is seen everywhere in this place. Managers have no experience or degrees to back up their positions. No room for innovation or proactive thinking. 5% cap on salary increase when promoted, regardless if you go from agent I to agent II, or Supervisor I to VP or CEO.

Advice to Management

Stop changing things 20 times a day, and stop fixing what is not broken. Management spends more time trying to stand out by putting down peers than trying to fix things or help the already shot morale of employees.

reviews filtered by

Not the best Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at OneWest Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you kiss up you can advance in the company

Cons

Secrets, lies, backstabing, low pay, overworked

Advice to Management

learn to manage properly and not thru fear

2. Intellectually challenging and interesting work with good pay.

Current Employee - Analyst in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at OneWest Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work is intellectually stimulating, highly analytical, and very satisfying. My senior managers are pedagogical in their style, which I appreciate. Moreover, they do well in inspiring me to push hard and become one of the best. Our group has access to extensive modern technological resources, which demonstrably improves our workflow.

From reading the reviews here, I gather that people's experiences differ dramatically depending on the department they work for. However, I am very satisfied with the people in my own group.

Cons

Occasionally, there are problems with clear communication of deadlines from middle and senior management. Also, when senior managers bypass middle managers asking for certain tasks to be completed, they do not always clear it with a person's direct supervisor beforehand. This can lead to a misapplication of work force and flustered middle managers.

Personally, I find the tasks assigned by senior management more engaging and interesting, but there does not seem to be an appropriate venue for me to express that sentiment.

Advice to Management

In addition to asking employees to self-report weekly work flow and task completion, have both senior management and middle management draft a version of what they expected each employee to be devoting time and resources to complete. Employees should be able to view these expectations. When actual and expected projects do not line up, there should be discussion.

Since it may be unclear to employees what, why, and where vital resources are in need of deployment. Please try to get middle managers to assign more context during task allocation. Senior
    management is normally better than middle management at providing clarity around the reason for assignment of work tasks.