Onyx Brands
www.onyxbrands.com North Little Rock, AR 16 to 50 Employees

You will grow and mature quickly working in this incredibly (impossibly?) fast paced company.

Graphic Artist (Former Employee)

I worked at Onyx Brands full-time for less than a year

ProsBefore taking this job, ask yourself these questions. If you answer YES to all of these, then you'll do fine.

1. Are you a fast learner? You need to know Adobe Illustrator really well because that's the main software used if you are a graphic designer - Excel if you are a brand manager. There's no time to learn the software, so you better know it.

2. Are you an aggressive learner. No formal orientation is provided. You can't be shy and you have to learn to ask and keep asking for people to teach you things. You make your own orientation/training.

3. Are you a fast worker? If you want to get out at 5pm, you need to learn to juggle multiple projects at a time, do them well and get them done fast. If not, bring a pillow, blanket and toothbrush to work. Usually, I get out around 5-5:30, so it is possible.

4. Are you detail orientated? You have these things called "spec packs" which are multi-page instructions on how to make a product. There are regulations and small details that you can't miss or you can cause the company lots of money if it goes to mass production and there's an error on it.

5. Are you a sensitive artist? You can’t be too attached to your idea. What the CEO likes is not always what you like and your just have to take her suggestion and go with it.

6. Do you love revisions? You better start liking it. Your artwork will change more than 10 times sometimes - it gets frustrating, but just think of it as a game.

7. Can you handle stress? Don’t take anything personally. Don’t take anything too seriously. You are only human, do what’s humanly possible and that’s all you can do. As long as you know you did all you can – what more can you do?

ConsAdvice to make things better.

1. Don’t play the “Hot Potato” game. I’m guilty of passing things sometimes, but it’s unfair to the people who work efficiently to pass your work to them. It’s punishing the people who work fast and rewarding the people who don’t. Let them offer to help, rather than forcing it on them. Everyone will work slower on purpose if this is the case.

2. Offer rewards and bonuses for good work! If we keep playing the “Hot Potato” game, then reward the person doing more work so they want to do more work - preferably a monetary reward.

3. Offer annual “automatic” salary raise. It’ll encourage people to stay longer rather than looking for other opportunities. Also, after the “trial period – 3 months” it’d be nice to have a raise saying, “you’ve passed your trial period and we want to keep you here!”

4. Have a monthly one-on-one evaluation meeting with the CEO (it’s more comfortable hearing critiques privately than it being announced to everyone). How can we improve if we don’t know how we are doing? We need these evaluation and conversation with the CEO so that we can coordinate and make sure we are on the same path.

5. It’s the WORK you put in something, not the TIME! No more mandatory overtime! I know when I need to do overtime in order to get a project finished by the deadline. There’s one week where we had to go to work from 7:30 to 6:00 pm – whether we are finished with our projects or not. I actually got less work done given more time because I was mad.

6. Be more strict on deadlines! People don’t finish on time because they know it’s not a serious deadline. Rewards for meeting deadlines would be nice. Example, if everyone meets a deadline – pizza party!

Also, don’t move deadlines up! A deadline is set, we’ve scheduled our week around it and it’s unfair for move it earlier than the original date. Make definite choices, make firm deadlines and you’ll have projects done on time.

7. Reward don’t punish! Moving deadlines up, extending work hours, etc. will (more than likely) NOT give positive results. Instead, it’ll add on to the negativity and hate towards Onyx. Positive actions will result in positive outcome. Negative actions, though it may achieve the desired outcome, will still have the stain of negativity that can’t be erased.

8. Hire an art director and trust all the design decisions to him/her. We have talented designers that have great potential. We can be at the level of the high end brands. Currently, the CEO makes the design decisions. She does a good job, but, we need someone who’s spent their educational and professional career on design.

The CEO is managing almost everything – from design to costing to other things (sometimes she even cuts, glues and makes product mock-ups with us). I do admire her for being able to do all that. But it’s better to have one person, an art director, who’s only focus is on one thing – design.

Advice to Senior ManagementMarsha Martin, the CEO, is very hyper in a way where she wants to do everything - and she can. (This is just my personal observation) She also expects everyone to be the same and keep up with her. Our time and her time (very fast) doesn't usually coordinate and this creates problems with deadlines and expectations.

This is where the monthly evaluation meeting would be useful in order to coordinate pacing and figure out a reasonable deadline for projects. "Reasonable" means normal people can get it done on time without having to do overtime. Humans need rest, even machines need rest. Overwork a machine, overwork a human - both will overheat and wear out - produce bad quality results.

Definitely not a privilege to work for Onyx.

I have been working at Onyx Brands

Pros: most employees who are still there have the most amazing… Cons: Poor management No organization No business ethics Non-professional work environment Hard work goes unnoticed/and… Advice to Senior Management: CEO should be reduced to merely the owner of the… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Highest Turn Over Rate I've Ever Seen!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Onyx Brands

Pros: Really great co-workers, and you get to meet a bunch… Cons: The owner changes her mind 100 times during projects, makes irrational decisions, and blames problems on everyone else. There is no creative control, she might… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Onyx Brands.

Worked for Onyx Brands? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Onyx Brands reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Onyx Brands CEO Marsha Martin. All reviews posted anonymously by Onyx Brands employees.