Ooyala

www.ooyala.com

Fast, fun, and energizing place to work with a friendly culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Ooyala has a great product and a great team of people. The culture at Ooyala is incredibly relaxed and easy-going but with that freedom people work hard, are responsible, are professional, and are great at what they do. Ooyala has always had a great culture and they go the extra mile to make sure people feel welcome and happy. If you want to learn more about another area of the company, I've never heard anybody get turned down.

Cons

As great as Ooyala is, sometimes big projects have taken their toll on engineers who get a bit burnt out. Ooyala is really flexible with this so I think it's often the person not really making it known or communicating what they need. It's hard to say though because Ooyala tends to hire top-notch, dedicated, and hard workers. I guess that's why Ooyala has been a launch pad for entrepreneurs. A lot of people have started their own companies after Ooyala so I guess that's the benefit of hard work, even if you do work a little too hard sometimes.

I personally think management does all they can to keep people happy and motivated. I feel like if I wanted to talk to any Exec any time I could.

Other reviews for Ooyala

Senior Recruiter

Former Employee - Recruiter  in  Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Great Company! Working with a great group of intelligence people
    Lot of opportunity for growth and advancement

Cons

You work a lot of hours, but it's worth it.
     Egos are pretty big

Thrilling Software Engineering Learning Experience

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

Pros

+ Engineers are super smart.
    + Work with top open source technologies
    + Easy to do impact and to propose something new and get it going.
    + Really good Massive Datasets team. Great data mining infrastructure and machine learning.
    + Almost every engineer get to work on the entire stack (UI all the way to the backend and storing data on distributed file systems)
    + Applies scrum very effectively, making engineers highly exposed to every project executed by the team.

Cons

+ Management gets employee reviews one way (only cares about what higher people of the people underneath them, never the other way around).
    + Some teams keep beautiful code, others have hard-to-follow and understand code.
    + No dedicated team providing good infrastructure. Engineers have to do tedious work a good chunk of the time

There are newer employer reviews for Ooyala.

Worked for Ooyala? Contribute to the Community!