Ooyala
www.ooyala.com Mountain View, CA 150 to 499 Employees

Amazing people, amazing work... Management is improving.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ooyala full-time for more than a year

ProsOoyala has a thoroughly first-rate group of engineers. They're usually very experienced and from good schools. Many are very good at communicating and teaching. You get to pick most of your own tech stack, and you're working on cool tools that can get you a nice salary bump when you move on to your next company (examples: Hadoop, Cassandra, EC2, Scala).

The work is varied because Ooyala does so many things with video and analytics, and it's interesting because every section of the company has hard problems to work on.

There are also good perks -- always-available snacks and soda, catered lunch and dinner every day, discount massages and sushi every other week.

ConsManagement doesn't know how to handle promotions for senior engineers. Almost nobody makes Staff Engineer, while many, many become Tech Leads. Does management *really* think that's because every senior engineer would rather be a manager?

The Ops (and DevOps/SRE) group is pretty screwed. Executive management doesn't really care about fixing it, so it's been awful for years. Most groups do some ops themselves but engineers aren't better at it.

2013 is a "tighten the belt" year. Fair enough, it's time. But still not as fun a time to join. Some of the perks may go away.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want more of something, stop telling people they can't get a promotion because they do it. Anything you cite as "here's why you're not getting promoted" isn't just stopping the person you told it to. It's stopping anybody they talk to -- and that's probably everybody.

Great place to work at with a fun culture.

I have been working at Ooyala full-time for more than a year

Pros: Free food, unlimited PTO, work hard/play hard culture. Cons: Not a lot of advancement opportunities Advice to Senior Management: Continue to go after the small-mid size market. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Great company, smart people, driven and motivated

I have been working at Ooyala full-time for more than a year

Pros: Smart, motivated people. Good leadership. Fun environment. Interesting history of employees leaving to… Cons: The development team is a little young/green. The office space is… Advice to Senior Management: Keep up the good work. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Ooyala.

Worked for Ooyala? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ooyala reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ooyala CEO Jay Fulcher . All reviews posted anonymously by Ooyala employees.