OpenBet

www.openbet.com
  www.openbet.com
There are newer employer reviews for OpenBet

Noticeable improvements but the elephant-in-the-room remains

I have been working at OpenBet

Pros

The company is full of top techies and people who really know what they are doing, very little dross or people being carried. Interview processes clearly filter out weak candidates. Bustling, modern, multi-cultural work environment. Expanding company clearly on the up. Management communication has improved of late with regular briefings.

Cons

Beyond base salaries, holidays and a good pension there's not much else package wise. The lack of stock options has already been mentioned in previous posts and their continued absence means good people who shouldn't be leaving, still are.
Persistent rumours of overspent budgets by the recent SVP hire are beginning to make people nervous about the current year's numbers.

sort out the stock option issue. It is the elephant in the room and cannot continue to be ignored

52 Other Employee Reviews for OpenBet (View Most Recent)

Great Start but Needs Improvement

I have been working at OpenBet

Pros

This is really a great place to work. The atmosphere of working around a huge group of very intelligent, capable, and hard working developers is really awesome. Additionally, as a developer the work can be very diverse and challenging including complete end to end work of customers' systems. One day you may find yourself configuring your customers server configurations and the next working on new functionality for their website. The average age is also at about 30 which is played up upon by way of having game consoles, a pool table, and other misc "break" time activities in the office.
    Finally, while (as I'll mention in a minute) we have a lot to improve upon, it is good that it appears as though the company is making effort to improve itself. And to be perfectly honest, this is the most crucial aspect of what gives this company its extra "sparkle" at the moment. We're not perfect, but as long as it seems like we're trying to get there, we're all good.

Cons

The two worst things about this company at the moment are: 1) the management structure really needs an overhaul and 2) being an IT company, we're massively lagging in our technological upgrades; and I tend to think the two issues are tightly interwoven with one another.

As others have mentioned, you see the senior management about 2 times a year (in the company parties -- one of which we might not even have because every extra penny we get these days seems to go to Virtruvian). This is very annoying being that I think the company is beginning to feel a bit of a lack of support by the higher management. Just as well however, there's no training or consistency within the middle management, so your view of the company and type of work can drastically change depending simply on which team you are put on.

As for technologies: we have tons of people with lots and lots of amazing ideas, but because the management is rather distant it's kind of a struggle to see whether anyone is actually listening and whether we'll actually implement any of these improvements.

My advice is embedded in the review above:

1) Listen to the devs and the ideas that are there. There's a lot of great ideas going uncultured.

2) Middle Management needs an overhaul.

3) As an IT company, we really should be at the forefront of available technologies. Let's get rid of some of this technological debt.

that wasn't flying it's falling with style...

Former Employee - Software Developer in Chiswick, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Chiswick, England (UK)

I worked at OpenBet

Pros

Openbet is in a growth industry with an expanding customer list locxated in a great pbusiness park in west london. From the outside it looked like a go get em sort of place. The interview process impressed me because it was quick and efficient and I was asked challenging tech questions which made me think there must be some smart people here. I was right. The depth of the skills and knowledge on my team was very good. I'm an experienced dev presumably hired to bring my experience developing other java apps to the Openbet table. For about six weeks I thought I was in my dream job...

Cons

After a short while (2-3 months) it became very clear that not all was well in Openbet. I found my views being overuled, and worse IGNORED, by people with less technical experience than me. I began to seriously wonder why on earth I had been hired. Why did they pay me so much to just write code? The senior techncial leadership have been with the business a long time. I think I was part of the new blood to supplement the existing knowledge but whoever came up with that strategy should take a really good look at the reality. New people join; the old timers do not listen to the new people; then the new people leave. End of story. The company desperately needs to refresh it's technical thinking at the top if it is to carry on growing. With hindsight I strongly suspect the company is being carried along by the growth in the online gambling market, not by it's innovation or the skills of it's management team.

How motivating do you think it is for a developer with no stock to read about the CEO's plans to make a mint out of building the company up to be worth $1bn, then selling up and making a fortune? Well any employees in that position (and 99% of them have no stock) reading that recent interview in egamingreview isn't going to be that impressed, are they? On my last day someone at a watercooler told me in the year he'd been with Openbet he'd never seen the CEO or COO on the developer floor. They really are that invisible to the everyday business but appear to be plundering all the money. My advice would be that it's time to take a serious look at how those responsible for the stellar growth are being treated, otherwise like me, they will simply vote with their feet.

There are newer employer reviews for OpenBet