OpenTable

www.opentable.com
There are newer employer reviews for OpenTable

Good Company. Not the right fit.

Former Employee - Sales in Calif City, CA
Former Employee - Sales in Calif City, CA

I worked at OpenTable full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nice environment and nice people. At the time I was there all of the management was accessible. Compensation was fair and they were continuing to grow.

Cons

It didn't seem like there was much of an opportunity for upward mobility because of the size of the company. They may have already addressed this but there also didn't seem to be a clear direction on marketing and account management.

58 Other Employee Reviews for OpenTable (View Most Recent)

Stuffy, Anti-Creative Corporate Culture

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at OpenTable full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent earning potential, great base, great commission opportunities
    Advancement opportunities, they do promote from within
    Very competitive benefits and time-off package

Cons

I was in sales as an account executive.

This was the worst job of my life. I have worked for several tech companies (from start-ups to Fortune 500's); and with the exception of Opentable, they were all truly amazing experiences.

OpenTable claims to hire "challengers", but the people they actually hire are just plain rude. They're motto "If you're not being thrown out of a meeting at least once a week, you're not doing it right". While this type of attitude may work in some markets, it does not work in all parts of the country, sales styles need to be adjusted to to the corresponding market and to the person or people to whom you are presenting.

The company pits salespeople against each other. Healthy competition is a great thing in sales, but this is not what OpenTable does. They encourage sales people to say negative things about one another. This information then goes into the employee's file, to be used against them if necessary in the firing process.

Be prepared to hit your goals or be fired within 60 days. Period. They rule by fear and as opposed to working with team members to help them reach their full potential, OpenTable is very quick to fire.

Fortunately, I was not fired. I put in my year and got out as soon as I could.

Allow your sales team to use their creative, analytical and decision making skills to sell. You hired them because they have a proven track record of being top performers. Let them sell. And take that stick out of your butts.

Sales is old and out of touch

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Fantastic co-workers, lots of great talent across most departments
    - Decent benefits
    - Potential to travel for the job

Cons

- Culture is very stiff. This is by no means a hip tech company. They work at this though.
    - Old technology. Staff laptops for sales are cheap PCs and old iPads (no 3G/4G). Technology is pretty dated on the customer side as well, the only thing that keeps the company at the top of the market is its network of users and restaurants.
    - Constant change. Within a few months of bringing me on they essentially decided to restructure the sales org. Bonuses were slashed and the commission structure was changed for the worse.

- Innovate, do something new and don't take so long to roll it out.
    - Decide what you are going to do and stick to it.

There are newer employer reviews for OpenTable