There are newer employer reviews for OpenTable

As an engineer, it has been great so far and we are in the midst of an exciting time of reinnovation

Current Employee - Automation Engineer in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Automation Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great employees and everybody here is super friendly. We are given independence and are respected

Cons

Teams are cliques. Need more company culture.

Keep it up.

52 Other Employee Reviews for OpenTable (View Most Recent)

big changes within past year have put OPEN on track to become a top-tier software employer

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent upper management, brand new custom-designed workspace at marquis address (1 Montgomery), diverse workforce ( age, gender, race ), relaxed attitude towards dress and working hours, close association with restaurant industry, good parties, technology stack rapidly being modernized, good cross-section of technologies ( .net , ruby , mobile/java , some open-source mongodb, node.js, devops ), positive optimistic culture and attitude towards future, stock has potential to meet or exceed old highs, company is generally liked on Wall Street.

Cons

Only average middle engineering management, somewhat below average salaries in current environment, no bonus structure other than standard stock grant vest over 4 years at onset of employment, poor pre-existing technology, somewhat cramped & noisy open workspace can be distracting at times, business side overemphasized in importance and has too much power ( a lot of their ideas are obvious - no geniuses on the b-side ), long hours necessary to meet management expectations.

Need to institute a real merit-based bonus-structure, need to offer new employees more opportunities for advancement, need to establish metrics to objectively rate employee performance ( Facebook style ) , too much emphasis on reviews by immediate manager, too much of prior status-quo remains, might need to further restructure middle management, techs continually told to move faster but murky as to where real issues originate.

Great working environment

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

OpenTable offers a great work/life balance. The company also hires wonderful people who are a joy to work with. I've never felt so valued as I have at this company.

Cons

They are a bit behind on pay however that has been improving over the past year or two. The company also tends to move more slowly than what is needed to keep up with their competition. Hopefully that will improve as well.

Spend the money to take care of our existing customers as well as to create cloud-based technology that blows away the competition.

There are newer employer reviews for OpenTable