There are newer employer reviews for OpenTable

Great company

I worked at OpenTable

Pros

Innovative, responsive, advance and growing

Cons

Low pay and benefits not great

Increase pay

52 Other Employee Reviews for OpenTable (View Most Recent)

Pretty good

Current Employee - User Experience Researcher in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - User Experience Researcher in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenTable full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company is doing lots of cool stuff

Cons

Not a lot of experience releasing new products

Massive Exodus

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at OpenTable full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

We built OpenTable into what it became. We, being a team of Engineers, Designers, Product Managers, Sales, Support Staff, Office Staff, etc. We loved the company and did our best to make it successful. That was an incredible team that succeeded in a major way. We were so proud when the company went public and watched the stock soar. It was sweet.

Cons

Something happened a couple years ago where the old guard was summarily dismissed, or encouraged to move on by treating good people badly. Stress, bickering, and managers yelling at employees in public increased, and people fled. The new engineering regime brought over their dozen or so cronies and even set them up with their own office in Southern California, away from the mother ship in San Francisco. Rather than learn about the existing culture at OpenTable, they imposed their own set of rules, values and skewed militaristic sense of what makes a good team. The engineering team was constantly reminded that the company was moving fast, and to keep up or get left behind. Older workers were jettisoned for younger workers, a clear sign of ageism.

You brought in new culture, and a new fancy office space all while destroying the old. So many loyal long time employees have left and are continuing to leave, and the feeling of pride we all had is slowly evaporating. What people tend to forget or ignore is that a dead fish rots from the head down.

Was it worth it?