Opera Solutions

www.operasolutions.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Opera Solutions

Good people...(data science) bubble-economy decisions.

Former Employee - Staff Scientist
Former Employee - Staff Scientist

I worked at Opera Solutions (more than a year)

Pros

Smart scientists, fun atmosphere, great managers, good place to learn a semi-rigorous approach to data science. Of course I complained about management while there, but since leaving I see that they were comparatively pretty good.

Cons

Fake products such as vektor (that were targeted to impress investors rather than actually do anything) were demoralizing. Lack of profits or great projects led me to seek work elsewhere. The research group was completely disconnected from other groups, which sucked because everyone wanted a little research and a little product development. The focus on PhDs rather than engineers slowed down product development.

170 Other Employee Reviews for Opera Solutions (View Most Recent)

Enough complaints, already - new year, new dawn

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Amazingly smart and committed people, great IP, one of the best customer lists (with significant relationships) in the Big Data space. True success stories to point to. Much more focused direction (finally - took a long time!) and we've stripped down to fighting weight and lost some of the expenses that were dragging us down. Real progress on technology, too, hitting milestones and goals.

Cons

Still a pretty grumpy place to work, even though CEO has taken the right actions (IMHO). Naysayers need to either get with the program or find a place they can believe in.

Be sure to keep focused and keep communicating.

Turning the Corner with Momentum Building

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A few recent key business wins with major blue chip companies; Well positioned vis a vis Frost & Sullivan, Gartner, Computerworld, Expedia/Kaggle prize; Messaging and capabilities are differentiated, and the market is responding positively.

Cons

Competition is well financed, fierce, and growing market share vigorously; Company is just beginning to deploy a sound strategy that can win the market, but time will tell if we can execute

Stay focused on execution and improving the Vektor platform. With both nimble and large competitors pursuing us in the market, we can squander our position if we don't deliver.

There are newer employer reviews for Opera Solutions