There are newer employer reviews for Opera Solutions

Turning the Corner with Momentum Building

Current Employee - Director  in  New York, NY
Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A few recent key business wins with major blue chip companies; Well positioned vis a vis Frost & Sullivan, Gartner, Computerworld, Expedia/Kaggle prize; Messaging and capabilities are differentiated, and the market is responding positively.

Cons

Competition is well financed, fierce, and growing market share vigorously; Company is just beginning to deploy a sound strategy that can win the market, but time will tell if we can execute

Stay focused on execution and improving the Vektor platform. With both nimble and large competitors pursuing us in the market, we can squander our position if we don't deliver.

162 Other Employee Reviews for Opera Solutions (View Most Recent)

Good people...(data science) bubble-economy decisions.

Former Employee - Staff Scientist
    Former Employee - Staff Scientist

I worked at Opera Solutions for more than a year

Pros

Smart scientists, fun atmosphere, great managers, good place to learn a semi-rigorous approach to data science. Of course I complained about management while there, but since leaving I see that they were comparatively pretty good.

Cons

Fake products such as vektor (that were targeted to impress investors rather than actually do anything) were demoralizing. Lack of profits or great projects led me to seek work elsewhere. The research group was completely disconnected from other groups, which sucked because everyone wanted a little research and a little product development. The focus on PhDs rather than engineers slowed down product development.

You get out what you put in

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Whether you're into business, software, or data science, this is place where you can create your own opportunities in a small enough environment to make meaningful contributions in anything you do. It's not a place where you can scrape by putting in 35 hours a week and hope to expand your growth or make an impact. As with any burgeoning market entrant, growing pains abound. If you're the type to see opportunity in the face of uncertainty, enjoy a good challenge, and can perform under stress and constraints, you'll succeed and be rewarded. If not, you'll quickly become frustrated and end up somewhere else, which isn't a bad thing (though watch out for these reviews). Subtle pros: free lunch every Friday, great culture, high quality colleagues, lasting friendships and professional relationships easily built.

Cons

Communication is the biggest con. Most of the time we are completely in the dark about what's going on in the company. It's tough to be motivated when performance bonuses dried up over time. They are allegedly coming back based on individual project performance, but we'll have to see to believe. Benefits are completely terrible, and salaries could be better (promotions help a bit). Hours vary widely, and allocation of work can be very unbalanced within teams.

Explain what is going on! Stop the rumors and address the big issues that bother people the most. Motivate your top performers so they don't leave and empower them to become advocates for your vision.

There are newer employer reviews for Opera Solutions

Worked for Opera Solutions? Contribute to the Community!