Merp!

I have been working at Opower full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Regardless of how stressful your days are, at least you know you're working towards a good cause. Perks are OK - snack closet, Friday lunches, stock options, etc. Casual office environment - although we're a bit on top of one another due to lack of space, we can wear what we want and be ourselves.

Cons

Remember in high school, how all the cool kids sat together at lunch, gossiped, and generally felt superior to everyone? Well, Opower is one big "cool kids" table. Work-life balance is poor: when you leave to go home at the end of the day, you're still expected to answer emails and requests. If you're not working overtime, people will think you're lazy. In many cases, there is either too little process or too much process. Opower is still somewhat of a startup so hopefully this is a growing pain that will go away with time.

Advice to Management

Be more accepting of diversity, don't look for someone to blame every time something goes wrong, and start empowering your employees.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

I Still Pinch Myself - The best place filled with the best people I have ever worked with

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a fast paced, smart double bottom line company with a solid company culture that values innovation, rapid problem solving, quirky humor, and individual and collaborative contributions: - "A" players / top-notch hires - location - solid benefits / care for their employees (equity, stocked organic kitchens / food, weekly massages, very flexible WFH policy, dogs in the office, regular company sponsored HH, events and outings, paid training, seminars, etc.) - plentiful growth and development opportunities - regular feedback and visible quarterly goals in addition to annual reviews - connection to your work and visible impact of contributions - positive, motivated and enthusiastic work environment / awesome company culture - visible and accessible management and upper management (including the founders)

Cons

- Intimidating / drawn-out recruitment process (not for the faint of heart) - The egos that occasionally come with "A" players are tiresome - Most people struggle to find a work/life balance

Advice to Management

When you speak, we listen.

Awesome place, awesome company

I worked at Opower

Pros

Amazing work, mission, people, success, growth

Cons

Culture is a litte SF hipster at the office, there are a few suburban types, but for the most part it's definitely a "cool guys" place

Advice to Management

Be visible, be nice