Opower

www.opower.com
  www.opower.com
There are newer employer reviews for Opower

Experience great people and a great work environment, all while making a difference.

Current Employee - Consumer Marketing in Arlington, VA
Current Employee - Consumer Marketing in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is smart.
Great work environment.
Lots of employee perks.
Huge concentration on acquiring and keeping top tier talent.
Concentration on making a difference.

Cons

Growing fast so everyone is new.
Decent learning curve that can be hard to get around with so many new people.
Typical growing pains of a young organization.
Occasional over-focus on internal rather than external matters.

94 Other Employee Reviews for Opower (View Most Recent)

Stock market be wary

I worked at Opower full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- great vacation/healthcare/gym benefits compared to other companies in the area
    - positive reviews are probably from those fortunate to work in those departments with clear cut goals and the few great managers; many of the managers I respected have vested and left. I hope they bring in better middle managers before they IPO. Stay until you vest!
    -you build long lasting business and personal relationships after you leave with the few people who are ethical and like-minded; it's a tight network of those who are shared my views and try to help each other stay afloat
    - the food closets are as amazing as stated - you will gain weight like freshman year which I guess is a con. it's nice to have fresh fruit and breakfast at the office.
    -execs are well-spoken and put on a great public image which will surely make the IPO a reality.

Cons

- Talk of the double bottom line and energy saving and saving the world is part of the PR story. If you're a do gooder who wants to work at Opower to believe that the founders are dedicating their lives to this vision, then you will realize that their goal is to make money for the company and the subsequent payout when they cash out. And utilities sign up for good PR and because of government subsidies. Yes it's a win for the environment but not for the faint of heart if you're a big idealist.
    -If you accept, you will trade your current salary for lower compensation in exchange for stock options and all the promise of working for a cool company based near DC (but in Virginia - see the capitalist streak yet?). Look closely at the vesting. I accepted a job with a 30% pay increase when I left and invest in the stock market myself. Factor the benefits into your compensation as well - I took a ~$5k hit on that when I did the comparision/negotiation with my next job.
    - You're excited to work with other smart people with ivy league degrees until you realize everyone is so hyperfocused on themselves and their own careers that few are collaborating and managers just aren't looking out for you. They are dodging political bullets to keep their own jobs. They need to hire middle managers with experience over big name degrees.
    - Note the turnover in HR and Recruiting on LinkedIn. This is an area they need to pay more attention to. It's not just about amazing benefits, it's about career development, training, mobility (and that doesn't mean "Do you want to work in our SF office one day?") and advancement. Right now, they are overloaded with applications so they can be choosy but look at how long people stay in their roles and balance that with how long they can wear the golden handcuffs to wait out the IPO.
    - When I started, someone told me that bonuses are never clarified and never paid out, and I completely discounted his advice. I was wrong. I negotiated a higher bonus to make up for my salary and didn't get paid out. Pay attention to this in your offer letter and track your performance/achievement. Note what is expected of you and how you are tracking against this. Odds are your manager is not going to put in the time to help you do this, so do it yourself.
    - You can't have a meeting without having to put together a PowerPoint deck. It's more BS forecasts and visualizing one's vision than solid, actionable plans. If you like this, then you'll do fine. If you actually want to talk during a meeting instead of watching one person present the slides they spent half their day doing while execs look at their iphones and make you skip to your summary slide, then you may want to slit your wrists.
    -People are hanging on until the IPO. Once that happens (like many other companies), there will be a mass exodus. This is obvious of course, but the people that I like will all leave by then unless they are unaffected by the politics. (who does that actually leave?) So you'll have the doers and the egos and that just sounds terrible.
    -Some of the business decisions and practices made by VP and Director-level management conflicted with my personal and professional ethics which is why I have not recommended Opower to others despite its public hype and much to my friends' dismay.

Hire more seasoned middle managers

Build out your HR departments with people who focus on career development and who will keep tabs on individual/team performance/bonuses - you hire many bright new graduates who can't move up.

Fire managers whose direct reports are not learning/growing/performing under their tutelage (or lack thereof).

Diversity means hiring people who didn't attend Stanford or Harvard. It's hiring women into leadership roles. It's hiring LGBT. It's hiring people of color and not just in your IT and dev roles (sorry but it was true in my time there). It's hiring people with years of management experience who focus on their team's development even if they attended a public university (Imagine that!). It's fostering an environment where everyone can grow and prosper. Maybe it's too Kumbaya but it would be a great place to work then.

I had high hopes when I joined and respect many of the people still there and for their benefit, I am writing this.

Great people, great mission, great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time

Pros

High bar for hiring - everyone I've met while working here is very talented and highly motivated.

Fulfilling work - you truly do feel that your work helps make the world a better place.

Great company culture and office environment make it an enjoyable experience to come to work every day.

Flexible hours.

Cons

Pay/benefits could be better. Career advancement opportunities could be a bit more structured.

Keep up the good work.