Opower

www.opower.com
  www.opower.com
There are newer employer reviews for Opower

An amazing place for a software engineer to work; probably the best in the DC area

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Arlington, VA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

* Work with the best and brightest: it's truly an honor to work with such talented, motivated, bright colleagues. I don't know of any other similarly-sized tech companies in DC that are on par.
* Great pay: I get paid slightly better than market rate for my position, and my stock options are worth 2x my annual salary when/if we IPO.
* Great benefits: HSA, 401k, more annual leave than I know what to do with, etc.
* Free food: free breakfasts every day, free catered lunches on Fridays, and a completely stacked snack closet that would make any college kid drool. Oh, and they even have farm fresh milk and produce, so there are healthy snacking options too!

Cons

* I can't vouch for the working environment of other groups outside of Engineering.
* The day to day job is trying to make energy usage and efficiency interesting to your avg person, which is tough because for the most part it's pretty boring.
* If you work remotely it can be challenging, because Opower struggles with audio/video conferencing, but I think that's probably true of all companies.

Dan and Alex are doing a great job running the company, but as the company grows, they'll need to work A LOT harder to find out what the "boots on the ground" folks actually think about life at Opower. You should probably assume that your VPs are giving you an overly-optimistic impression of how their individual contributors are doing. Hiring/training great managers is probably the biggest problem.

95 Other Employee Reviews for Opower (View Most Recent)

Smart people, great mission, good perks.

Current Employee - Associate Professional Services Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Opower full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everyone is intelligent and committed to their work. They're always willing to go the extra mile to make sure things turn out right.

Cons

There are some growing pains given the ridiculous hiring rates Opower has been experiencing. It can be hard to keep track of who's in charge of what since it changes so frequently.

Experience great people and a great work environment, all while making a difference.

Current Employee - Consumer Marketing in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Consumer Marketing in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is smart.
    Great work environment.
    Lots of employee perks.
    Huge concentration on acquiring and keeping top tier talent.
    Concentration on making a difference.

Cons

Growing fast so everyone is new.
    Decent learning curve that can be hard to get around with so many new people.
    Typical growing pains of a young organization.
    Occasional over-focus on internal rather than external matters.

There are newer employer reviews for Opower