Opower
www.opower.com Arlington, VA 500 to 999 Employees

An amazing place for a software engineer to work; probably the best in the DC area

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time for more than 3 years

Pros* Work with the best and brightest: it's truly an honor to work with such talented, motivated, bright colleagues. I don't know of any other similarly-sized tech companies in DC that are on par.
* Great pay: I get paid slightly better than market rate for my position, and my stock options are worth 2x my annual salary when/if we IPO.
* Great benefits: HSA, 401k, more annual leave than I know what to do with, etc.
* Free food: free breakfasts every day, free catered lunches on Fridays, and a completely stacked snack closet that would make any college kid drool. Oh, and they even have farm fresh milk and produce, so there are healthy snacking options too!

Cons* I can't vouch for the working environment of other groups outside of Engineering.
* The day to day job is trying to make energy usage and efficiency interesting to your avg person, which is tough because for the most part it's pretty boring.
* If you work remotely it can be challenging, because Opower struggles with audio/video conferencing, but I think that's probably true of all companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementDan and Alex are doing a great job running the company, but as the company grows, they'll need to work A LOT harder to find out what the "boots on the ground" folks actually think about life at Opower. You should probably assume that your VPs are giving you an overly-optimistic impression of how their individual contributors are doing. Hiring/training great managers is probably the biggest problem.

Smart people, great mission, good perks.

Associate Professional Services Engineer (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Opower full-time for more than a year

Pros: Everyone is intelligent and committed to their work. They're always willing… Cons: There are some growing pains given the ridiculous hiring rates Opower has been experiencing. It can… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Experience great people and a great work environment, all while making a difference.

Consumer Marketing (Current Employee)
Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time for less than a year

Pros: Everyone is smart. Great work environment. Lots of employee perks. Huge concentration on… Cons: Growing fast so everyone is new. Decent learning curve that can be hard to get around with… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Opower.

Worked for Opower? Contribute to the Community!

Opower – Why Work for Us?

We partnered with our first utility client in 2007 from a rented desk in San Francisco. Since then, we’ve grown into a well-capitalized business with more than 500 employees, and offices in Arlington, Virginia, San… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Opower reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Opower CEO Daniel Yates. All reviews posted anonymously by Opower employees.