Opower

www.opower.com
  www.opower.com
There are newer employer reviews for Opower

One of the best mid-sized companies with a start-up culture

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Arlington, VA
Current Employee - QA Engineer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everyone's motivated. Highly skilled and smart folks. Everyone gets a chance to prove themselves by doing great things within or outside their responsibilities.

Cons

Sometimes people may be stepping on each others' toes. Many young managers in the company with little people skills.

Opower Response

Feb 7, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for the review and feedback. All helpful!

84 Other Employee Reviews for Opower (View Most Recent)

SF office is meh, software is a joke

Current Employee - QA Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Opower full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People are truly mission driven and care about saving the environment. Salaries in SF are competitive and the location is very convenient.

It's pretty easy to get away with slacking. The company doesn't know how to write software well so everything takes forever. So good place to kick back and watch people argue while doing nothing.

Cons

What is considered the best place to work in DC does not hold up to SF norms for software. It's ok except the company is really big on telling the employees how great they have it when actually it's a pretty lame operation.

Recruiting site promises stuff like free weekly massages or bring your dog to work, but both of those aren't true for half the company.

The office is not comfortable, not enough meeting rooms, and people aren't encouraged to make the place their own.

Not a SAAS company, just wishes it were. Mostly, custom stuff running for big utility companies being hand managed by an army of support staff.

Stop telling people what you want them to think about how great the company is. It's ok to be what we are, just stop pretending, you lose credibility with your employees.

Opower Response

Feb 7, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for your review and the feedback. We appreciate being given an opportunity to address any concerns, offer a different perspective, or make adjustments to shape Opower as a best place to work ... More

An amazing place for a software engineer to work; probably the best in the DC area

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

* Work with the best and brightest: it's truly an honor to work with such talented, motivated, bright colleagues. I don't know of any other similarly-sized tech companies in DC that are on par.
    * Great pay: I get paid slightly better than market rate for my position, and my stock options are worth 2x my annual salary when/if we IPO.
    * Great benefits: HSA, 401k, more annual leave than I know what to do with, etc.
    * Free food: free breakfasts every day, free catered lunches on Fridays, and a completely stacked snack closet that would make any college kid drool. Oh, and they even have farm fresh milk and produce, so there are healthy snacking options too!

Cons

* I can't vouch for the working environment of other groups outside of Engineering.
    * The day to day job is trying to make energy usage and efficiency interesting to your avg person, which is tough because for the most part it's pretty boring.
    * If you work remotely it can be challenging, because Opower struggles with audio/video conferencing, but I think that's probably true of all companies.

Dan and Alex are doing a great job running the company, but as the company grows, they'll need to work A LOT harder to find out what the "boots on the ground" folks actually think about life at Opower. You should probably assume that your VPs are giving you an overly-optimistic impression of how their individual contributors are doing. Hiring/training great managers is probably the biggest problem.

There are newer employer reviews for Opower