Opower

There are newer employer reviews for Opower

Unorganized and Snobby Management

Current Employee - Analyst in Arlington, VA
Current Employee - Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Culture, young crowd, company just went public and is growing immensely,
Cool office space with great kitchen (watch video online)

Cons

Unorganized HR department, leaves employees without answers to offers, very pretentious (not in a good way), many employees are very snooty

Don't be so snobby and unorganized

Mar 17, 2014Employer Brand Manager

I'm sorry to hear about your experience at Opower. Please feel welcome to talk to any HR representative about your concerns. Thanks for the review and feedback - and sharing your perspective.

79 Other Employee Reviews for Opower (View Most Recent)

Save the world through glorified IT

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Opower full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most people who do the actual work at the company are really nice and dedicated to helping save energy. The San Francisco office is in a great location for commuting and salaries are competitive.

Cons

This is NOT a normal software company. It's a Washington DC-based company that does large scale work for energy utility companies. The management in DC doesn't understand that they're not a software company though-- they think this big, ugly, custom dev shop is a SaaS and pitch it as such. It's not so bad to work at a company like this but it's really frustrating to be told how state of the art you are when you've worked at other places. Also, while the DC office is top notch by DC standards, the San Francisco office is on the low end of the scale for perks, food, setup, etc. Again, this isn't terrible, but the management is constantly telling us how great it is and how we're one of the best places to work.

You're out of touch! We're willing to work hard just because of the mission but stop telling us how happy we are and how great we are. We're not stupid, you know!

Feb 17, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for the review. I appreciate your perspective and will pass along your feedback.

SF office is meh, software is a joke

Current Employee - QA Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Opower full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People are truly mission driven and care about saving the environment. Salaries in SF are competitive and the location is very convenient.

It's pretty easy to get away with slacking. The company doesn't know how to write software well so everything takes forever. So good place to kick back and watch people argue while doing nothing.

Cons

What is considered the best place to work in DC does not hold up to SF norms for software. It's ok except the company is really big on telling the employees how great they have it when actually it's a pretty lame operation.

Recruiting site promises stuff like free weekly massages or bring your dog to work, but both of those aren't true for half the company.

The office is not comfortable, not enough meeting rooms, and people aren't encouraged to make the place their own.

Not a SAAS company, just wishes it were. Mostly, custom stuff running for big utility companies being hand managed by an army of support staff.

Stop telling people what you want them to think about how great the company is. It's ok to be what we are, just stop pretending, you lose credibility with your employees.

Feb 7, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for your review and the feedback. We appreciate being given an opportunity to address any concerns, offer a different perspective, or make adjustments to shape Opower as a best place to work ... More

There are newer employer reviews for Opower