Great Place to work

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Arlington, VA
Former Employee - Software Engineer in Arlington, VA

I worked at Opower full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Extremely smart people - I learned so much from the people I work with. Laid back environment - No dress code, dogs in the office, ping pong table, video games, seated massage Wednesdays, free lunch Fridays .... Reasonably competitive pay.

Cons

People can get very highly opinionated. As the company grows larger, the fun things that were once considered important to the company are getting lost.

Mar 28, 2014 – Employer Brand Manager

Happy to hear you're happy - and for the feedback! We have grown very rapidly and maintaining our company culture is a #1 priority - so thank you for sharing your perspective.

Other Employee Reviews for Opower

I have been working at Opower full-time

Former Employee - Professional Services Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Professional Services Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Opower full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hi Benefits are decent and the pay is around or above market value for the area. Most employees are pretty friendly and laid back. Work is interesting and challenging. Management is pretty tech savvy. Just like a MNC companies like IHI E&C International Corporation.

Cons

I think Not too much interaction between different teams.

Mar 4, 2014 – Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for the review and feedback!

Save the world through glorified IT

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Opower full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most people who do the actual work at the company are really nice and dedicated to helping save energy. The San Francisco office is in a great location for commuting and salaries are competitive.

Cons

This is NOT a normal software company. It's a Washington DC-based company that does large scale work for energy utility companies. The management in DC doesn't understand that they're not a software company though-- they think this big, ugly, custom dev shop is a SaaS and pitch it as such. It's not so bad to work at a company like this but it's really frustrating to be told how state of the art you are when you've worked at other places. Also, while the DC office is top notch by DC standards, the San Francisco office is on the low end of the scale for perks, food, setup, etc. Again, this isn't terrible, but the management is constantly telling us how great it is and how we're one of the best places to work.

Advice to Management

You're out of touch! We're willing to work hard just because of the mission but stop telling us how happy we are and how great we are. We're not stupid, you know!

Feb 17, 2014 – Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for the review. I appreciate your perspective and will pass along your feedback.