Opower

www.opower.com

Brilliant people working hard towards a great goal

Current Employee - Manager
Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Opower full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are a lot of reasons why I like working at Opower, and why I don't want to work other places. Here are some highlights:
* Company growth - our impact is increasing, the ability for advancement is high, and the experience you get osmotically from being part of a company from <100 employees to >500 employees (and beyond!) is great
* People - when I first started, I felt like I went from the real-world to a genius retreat. I was used to being the A+ player at my previous jobs, and at Opower it was a struggle to be stellar. That's the kind of struggle I appreciate.
* Iterative mindset for EVERYTHING - Review process not good? Revamp it! Your job has too many manual steps? Automate and improve it! Have an idea for other teams due to a chance discussion in the hallway? Suggest it and help build it!

Cons

The work is hard, but if you want to advance in a high-growth, poised for success company, it should be. Also, despite the "start-up" culture and quick turn-around, sometimes things are very slow to change for such a young and relatively nimble company, for example the work going into some back-end items to improve performance have been slower and impactful to a few key teams. It has not hindered delivery but has surely taken resources from improvement initiatives.

Some people would rather work where a product is fun or grabbing more headlines (Twitter, Tesla, etc.), that might be a con to some. I'd rather save the planet, save consumer's money, and work in a fun environment with driven people.

I'm a pretty big fan of the management team that has been built, so a few items:
The budgeting process is more complicated and rigid than necessary.
Dan & Alex - keep leading us into the stratosphere, we'll follow. Alex - keep opening those doors to huge markets and leverage your company's experts to impress potential clients. We aren't as small as we used to be and can bring some thought-leaders to various aspects of the space. Dan - keep pushing on eng&product to deliver the improvements to fuel growth. They're doing great, let's keep it going. Also, I hope you're public speaking style never changes.

Other Reviews for Opower

Best opportunity in northern Virginia if you want the small software experience, with caveats...

I have been working at Opower for more than 3 years

Pros

Opower feels like a Silicon Valley software company in many ways. The company has a unique commitment to doing the right thing and supporting the company mission of saving energy which pulls together a motivated team. The management team is highly approachable and mostly likable. There are some of the perks more likely to be seen in on the west coast such as free snacks and drinks, massage and free lunch one day a week, casual dress code, encouragement to bike to work. The vibe feels like a small company. If you're looking for a software company in the DC area that feels more like something you'd find in the Bay Area, this is it.

Cons

Bureaucracy is high relative to company size with bank-like title inflation. Pace of innovation is slower than you'd expect in SF or NY (though probably fast for DC). Support staff operate as inflexible fiefdoms.

A meritocracy and an empowered employee base.. need I say more?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is the first place where I have seen employees challenge their seniors, including the CEO, and is received well, for the better. This company really believes in motivating its team members thru hiring the best and challenging them with hard problems. You are given the room to fail and rope to grow.

Fun culture, young work force, lots of energy, pranks, food, beer and fun events for various times of the year like halloween competition, worst-sweater-competition, cinco-de-mayo fun. Oh, innumerable happy hours, some company sponsored, some dutch, but still all fun. Routinely see team members going out as a group for lunch/dinner outings. Company has more than 20 activity groups like wine lovers, yoga lovers, biking, golfing etc.

Cons

Since it grew so quickly, not all ducks are in a row, so unless you are a self-starter or can thrive in chaos, keep away. Directions shift quickly, processes come and go.. nothing is set in stone. If it does not work, we throw it and retry. No ego/no hurt/no shame. That is a pro, but for some, this can be a con.

First time people managers should be given more people manager type training, so they are not just learning by the seat of their pants.

There are newer employer reviews for Opower.

Worked for Opower? Contribute to the Community!