Opower

www.opower.com
  www.opower.com
There are newer employer reviews for Opower

Brilliant people working hard towards a great goal

Current Employee - Manager
Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Opower full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of reasons why I like working at Opower, and why I don't want to work other places. Here are some highlights:
* Company growth - our impact is increasing, the ability for advancement is high, and the experience you get osmotically from being part of a company from <100 employees to >500 employees (and beyond!) is great
* People - when I first started, I felt like I went from the real-world to a genius retreat. I was used to being the A+ player at my previous jobs, and at Opower it was a struggle to be stellar. That's the kind of struggle I appreciate.
* Iterative mindset for EVERYTHING - Review process not good? Revamp it! Your job has too many manual steps? Automate and improve it! Have an idea for other teams due to a chance discussion in the hallway? Suggest it and help build it!

Cons

The work is hard, but if you want to advance in a high-growth, poised for success company, it should be. Also, despite the "start-up" culture and quick turn-around, sometimes things are very slow to change for such a young and relatively nimble company, for example the work going into some back-end items to improve performance have been slower and impactful to a few key teams. It has not hindered delivery but has surely taken resources from improvement initiatives.

Some people would rather work where a product is fun or grabbing more headlines (Twitter, Tesla, etc.), that might be a con to some. I'd rather save the planet, save consumer's money, and work in a fun environment with driven people.

I'm a pretty big fan of the management team that has been built, so a few items:
The budgeting process is more complicated and rigid than necessary.
Dan & Alex - keep leading us into the stratosphere, we'll follow. Alex - keep opening those doors to huge markets and leverage your company's experts to impress potential clients. We aren't as small as we used to be and can bring some thought-leaders to various aspects of the space. Dan - keep pushing on eng&product to deliver the improvements to fuel growth. They're doing great, let's keep it going. Also, I hope you're public speaking style never changes.

78 Other Employee Reviews for Opower (View Most Recent)

Incredible company with growing pains

Current Employee - Senior Engineer In Client Services and Operations in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people. Seriously, the people here are nigh brilliant. The culture is infectiously energetic, the business model works and even gives you warm fuzzies when you go to bed at night. This stuff makes people's lives better. It's a great place to work with a bunch of people who are really sharp, really care, and are really open about it.

Cons

The hours and the stress are brutal, and the expectations around that don't seem to be changing. Growing from a tiny company to a big one is always about communication, management, and administrative challenges. Opower is still struggling with these challenges.

Be very careful about balancing the risks between continued rapid growth and addressing limitations of scale based on more growth oriented choices in the past.

If Opower remains a place where only die-hards can hope to endure, you may lose more people than you can really afford to.

Opower Response

May 16, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for the review and you are right, we are growing rapidly. I will be passing your feedback along to senior management. Your insight is valuable.

Pretty Owesometastic!

I have been working at Opower full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work in a start-up horizontal environment with passionate and fun people saving the world from wasteful energy consumption. The company's work has real environmental, economical, and societal impact.

Cons

-DC needs to get on par with SF. DC office is good, but SF office is great.

-Perks are getting better! I honestly don't care too much about perks because I'd much rather have great people to work with, but seeing that perks are getting better adds to the whole experience.

Keep staying lean, communicative, and startup-like, please!

Opower Response

May 21, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for the review. We are pretty Owesometastic, aren't we?! Happy to hear you're so proud! Couldn't do it without all the Owesome Os we've got.

There are newer employer reviews for Opower