Opower

www.opower.com
  www.opower.com
There are newer employer reviews for Opower

Brilliant people working hard towards a great goal

Current Employee - Manager
Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Opower full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of reasons why I like working at Opower, and why I don't want to work other places. Here are some highlights:
* Company growth - our impact is increasing, the ability for advancement is high, and the experience you get osmotically from being part of a company from <100 employees to >500 employees (and beyond!) is great
* People - when I first started, I felt like I went from the real-world to a genius retreat. I was used to being the A+ player at my previous jobs, and at Opower it was a struggle to be stellar. That's the kind of struggle I appreciate.
* Iterative mindset for EVERYTHING - Review process not good? Revamp it! Your job has too many manual steps? Automate and improve it! Have an idea for other teams due to a chance discussion in the hallway? Suggest it and help build it!

Cons

The work is hard, but if you want to advance in a high-growth, poised for success company, it should be. Also, despite the "start-up" culture and quick turn-around, sometimes things are very slow to change for such a young and relatively nimble company, for example the work going into some back-end items to improve performance have been slower and impactful to a few key teams. It has not hindered delivery but has surely taken resources from improvement initiatives.

Some people would rather work where a product is fun or grabbing more headlines (Twitter, Tesla, etc.), that might be a con to some. I'd rather save the planet, save consumer's money, and work in a fun environment with driven people.

I'm a pretty big fan of the management team that has been built, so a few items:
The budgeting process is more complicated and rigid than necessary.
Dan & Alex - keep leading us into the stratosphere, we'll follow. Alex - keep opening those doors to huge markets and leverage your company's experts to impress potential clients. We aren't as small as we used to be and can bring some thought-leaders to various aspects of the space. Dan - keep pushing on eng&product to deliver the improvements to fuel growth. They're doing great, let's keep it going. Also, I hope you're public speaking style never changes.

95 Other Employee Reviews for Opower (View Most Recent)

Fast paced and challenging - Opower is a place you will learn and make a difference.

I have been working at Opower full-time

Pros

A fantastic place to work with a bright future and room to grow along with the company. Highlights are:

- Mission driven
    - High performance
    - Fantastic leadership
    - Great people

Cons

Comp for some positions is lower than peer companies.

Love coming to work here every day

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are six main reasons why I love working at Opower:
    -Great Mission: It's energizing to be part of a company that is looking to make such a positive impact on the world -- and to see that it's working.
    -Great Products: The software Opower makes is innovative, usable, and well-designed. You feel proud of what you help create. On top of that, we get to use very cutting-edge technology. (In my past jobs, most of my requests to get the most advanced, cutting-edge tools were denied for budget reasons.)
    -Great People / Culture: Opower is a work hard, party hard environment where the people are extremely talented (the interview process is rigorous) and a lot of fun. Oh yeah, and there are free massages, cool toys around the office (scooters and ping pong tables!), free catered lunch on Fridays, fully-stocked pantries, and tons of fun parties and events. The list goes on.
    -Exciting Growth: Opower is growing fast and expanding internationally. That comes with unique challenge, of course, but even so it's fun and rewarding to see the company's products go forward into new markets and languages around the world. Oh yeah, and we went public recently. :-)
    -Leadership: Alex and Dan (the CEOs) are wonderful and trustworthy, and they've hired other excellent leaders who are moving the company forward and making smart strategic decisions about our future. It's a pleasure working for them. They're not business elites who are out of touch with their staff; they know what we do, what challenges we face, and they're very transparent and eager to hear our concerns and make us feel confident about the future.
    -Ongoing Improvement: Opower is great at evaluating its employees and overall corporate culture to identify where we're weak and where we're strong. We have regular performance reviews and compensation evaluation schedules, as well as regular company meetings to assess where we stand. This makes for a lot of transparency and ultimately a much stronger relationship between management and staff.

Cons

The challenges of working at Opower:
    -Work-life balance is a challenge. The people here work very hard, things move very fast, and there is absolutely no end in sight to the vast amount of work we have to do (which I consider a good thing). Sometimes, typically near the end of the quarter, you need to work some late nights and to meet tight deadlines.
    -Compensation: Opower is an exceptional company doing exceptional work, and I am sure many people here receive above-average compensation, but in my case I feel I am receiving average compensation. However, as mentioned above, I will say that Opower is very good about regular performance reviews and raises.
    -Benefits: The only complaints I have here are that Opower does not match 401k contributions and there is no tuition reimbursement for people in grad school. But honestly this is pretty equally matched by other benefits that Opower DOES provide, which go beyond just the standard health/dental,etc. benefits: extra cash for commuting, a great culture and office environment, team offsites, ample budget for professional development, tons of corporate swag, and on and on and on.
    -Rapid Growth: Since we're growing so fast into a large company, it can be hard to keep the culture as lightweight, fun, and non-bureaucratic as it's always been. Moreover, hiring new people and getting them up-to-speed is difficult. We're actively working on maintaining an excellent culture and improving our onboarding process, but we're definitely seeing how hard it can be to quickly integrate new staff and keep the culture fun when there's so much new growth / work to do.

Consider matching 401k contributions and offering tuition reimbursement for students who are in graduate school. Consider how to keep the culture fun as we grow. Consider ways we can improve our training and onboarding processes.

Opower Response

May 21, 2014Employer Brand Manager

WOW, what a review! This feedback is invaluable. Appreciate your perspective and will be sharing it with HR and senior management.

There are newer employer reviews for Opower