Opower

Thank God I work here!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Arlington, VA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time for more than a year

Pros

For me it's the following:

* Best group of people I've worked with. I'm constantly learning new things everyday. This keeps things interesting.
* Doing something that's good for the world.
* It's a great work environment - we don't take ourselves too seriously.
* Really excited with the way this company is going. With the IPO, new clients signing on, etc.

I've worked in over 7 companies and more as a consultant, and I have never found a place I've loved more than Opower.

Cons

You have to up your game, and not everyone is willing to do this.

Keep doing what you've been doing.

Opower Response

May 16, 2014Employer Brand Manager

YAY! We love your passion and enthusiasm. Thanks so much for being an O and taking the time to leave a review.

74 Other Employee Reviews for Opower (View Most Recent)

Great Company; Bad work life balance

Current Employee - Associate  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome coworkers - everyone is an A player, smart, hardowrking, and fun. We have an Owesome social life together
    Fantastic Mission - if you're environmentally focused, this is a data proven way to make a difference on Climate Change.
    Good Perks - Bring your dog to work, food in the kitchen, etc.

Cons

Lessening Growth Potential - so many stars that it's becomign harder to move up, even if you put in 150%. Everyone at Opower is a superstar and there are only so many steps upward. We hire really overqualified people too.
    Bad Work-Life-Balance - ongoing issue that is constantly raised by employees and Management does not seem to care. Folks here work 60 -70 hour work weeks on average. It's not sustainable, and there isn't space to keep folks who want to do a good job, but also have a family life. Opower can get A players at low cost bc of the mission and brand name, so Mgmt isn't willing to help balance work/life issue. Instead, people leave when they can't handle it and are replaced.
    Decreasing Perks - post IPO company has grown and perks seem less and less budgeted for.
    Less and Less transparent culture - esp post IPO. Mngmt seems to lack clear idea of what they want to share and how they'll communicate. Seems to be conflict in how to do this.
    Loosing Innovation and Defined Values

Please be more transparent -seem to be loosing that over the past 2 years.
    Find ways to encourage employees to take risk / manage independantly / create solutions bottom up / innovate
    Realize that you can't keep hiring over qualified, 70 Hr a week A-players indefinitely. Eventually you need to come up with a work-life balance and roles that keep your star performers at Opower. We love the company, but need you to value us and keep us around!
    Find ways to increase professional development

Opower Response

May 16, 2014Employer Brand Manager

This is all valuable insight. Thanks for sharing your review and I'll be sure to pass along your advice to Senior Management.

Best opportunity in northern Virginia if you want the small software experience, with caveats...

I have been working at Opower for more than 3 years

Pros

Opower feels like a Silicon Valley software company in many ways. The company has a unique commitment to doing the right thing and supporting the company mission of saving energy which pulls together a motivated team. The management team is highly approachable and mostly likable. There are some of the perks more likely to be seen in on the west coast such as free snacks and drinks, massage and free lunch one day a week, casual dress code, encouragement to bike to work. The vibe feels like a small company. If you're looking for a software company in the DC area that feels more like something you'd find in the Bay Area, this is it.

Cons

Bureaucracy is high relative to company size with bank-like title inflation. Pace of innovation is slower than you'd expect in SF or NY (though probably fast for DC). Support staff operate as inflexible fiefdoms.

There are newer employer reviews for Opower

Worked for Opower? Contribute to the Community!