Opower

A Great Group of People, Making A Big Difference

Current Employee - QA Manager in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - QA Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Opower

Pros

OPOWER is executing very well on a tremendous opportunity to make a big difference in how we think about energy conservation in this country. Everyone is tightly focused on the goal of helping consumers save energy, from the sales and product teams, through the engineering organization and down through the operations group. Communication between the teams is very open and transparent, and everyone is remarkably open to ideas on how to do *anything* better. There's no cross-disciplinary defensiveness, and everyone I've worked with so far is remarkably competent at what they do. Everyone so far has also been remarkably generous with their time. Technical and product documentation on the wiki is very complete for an organization this size, and the new-hire process (getting userids/laptop/building keys/etc) was surprisingly smooth, also for an organization this size. There are some bumps needing to be managed around the torrid pace of growth, but that's a high-class kind of problem to have. The office environment is very social and engaged, but people are respectful if you've got a deadline and need to focus. Plenty of places to hunker down in a quiet corner if you need to. The product development team is very forward thinking in two ways: one, test engineering requires software engineers who are interested in testing, instead of just looking for button pushers; two, the development engineers are incredibly deeply invested in unit and integration testing and in supporting the test engineers on system level and acceptance testing.

Cons

The San Francisco office (new engineering practice being built) is a little isolated from the DC office (headquarters), but that should be mitigated as we gain critical mass. Likewise, bi-coastal commuting during the ramp up phase is a bit of a burden on work/life balance, but everyone on the team understands it and is accommodating. Likewise, that will be less of an issue as critical mass builds in SF.

Continue to be as open and transparent with the team about what's going on and where we're going. Try as hard as you can to make that openness scale as the team grows. Continue to keep the focus on delivering the most important things that our customers need so they keep paying us, but balance that with the engineering realities and the development, testing and operational levels. Continue to promote even more the concept that infrastructure, scaling and agility are first-class priorities within product and engineering and ops.

95 Other Employee Reviews for Opower (View Most Recent)

OPOWER -- hyper-growth cash flow positive startup having a hugely positive impact on the environment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower

Pros

OPOWER has a terrific culture, a great mission, and is a fun place to work. We're growing like crazy, and we're doing so by having a strong positive impact on emissions. As we grow past one hundred employees tens of millions in revenue, we're providing the same emissions reduction as 1/3 of the entire US solar industry.

Cons

It's a startup, so you have to be willing to roll up your sleeves and solve problems from the ground up. Very little is spoon fed here -- you have to own your work and take responsibility for the good and the bad.

I'm a member of the management, so I don't think I should be giving myself advice on a public website. :-)

A company that ENGAGES.. Addictive!

Current Employee - Sales Director in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Director in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Opower full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Smart people... I've been working in Intel and Oracle before and the professional level in Opower is even higher. In addition you really feel valued and the management is really helpful. By the way, it's the first time that I enjoy working for a company and I don't mind answering emails on the weekend... Dan and Alex got it! :)

When you feel that you are working for a nice company with nice people around and you are decreasing the climate change... What else can you ask for??? :)

I would like to add that even the brand is amazing. We have some goodies that are really nice and Opower is now a real brand with some marketing that is awesome!

Cons

There are two tiny issues I would complain for... First, there are a lot of internal reviews in a bad moment of the year. Second, the goodies that are sent to the offices out of the States are really poor... We don't get the good ones! ;)

Send more goodies to Europe!

And now seriously, please book the review times more wisely :)

Opower Response

Jul 31, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for this review and such helpful feedback! We've grown so much and want to keep the O experience the same as much as possible across the globe. I'm passing your review feedback to HR today ... More

There are newer employer reviews for Opower