Opportunity Village
oppvill.org Clear Lake, IA 150 to 499 Employees

Opportunity Village has lost its way...

Persona Assistant (Current Employee)
Clear Lake, IA

I have been working at Opportunity Village

ProsHere you are given the opportunity to support persons with developmental disabilities. The clients really need honest, caring staff who are willing and able to help them improve their daily living skills.

ConsIt can be a rewarding experience for staff willing to endure the stifling management which seems to be ever-diligent to punish you for seemingly minor "offences" and rarely rewards the staff for a good job.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of constantly stifling new ideas, be open to and actually consider the ideas of new staff. It seems that in Opportunity Village, there is a "core" of "old-timers" who are now in their leadership positions not based upon merit or training or background, but simply because they have put in the time at the Village. This has resulted in the Village remaining stagnant and backward-looking ( remember the "good old days? ) instead of vibrant and cutting edge. The clients deserve MUCH more than they are getting. Oh, there is SO MUCH more the Village could be doing to provide excellent services to our clients, but too many upper management are either incapable or unwilling to change enough to allow the Village to evolve and grow.

Changes need to be made..

Personal Support Professional (Current Employee)
Clear Lake, IA

I have been working at Opportunity Village full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: The relationship you build with the clients is excellent and… Cons: Upper management seems uninterested in new ideas. Morale is low. You aren't compensated nearly what you should be (OV knows this, as well).… Advice to Senior Management: Start treating your support professionals with more DIGNITY and RESPECT. We're the pillars of this facility. Have supervisors work on their relational skills… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Opportunity Village.

Worked for Opportunity Village? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Opportunity Village reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Opportunity Village CEO John Severtson. All reviews posted anonymously by Opportunity Village employees.