Optimal Solutions Group, LLC

Exceptional!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in College Park, MD
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in College Park, MD

I have been working at Optimal Solutions Group, LLC

Pros

We do important and very challenging work on public policy. I have an opportunity to help develop and implement policy research that has the potential (and often does) make a difference in improving policy makers' decisions.

Cons

Many experienced and new researchers are not up to the challenge of working in an environment that demands excellence. As a result, turnover was a challenge a few years ago.

Continue to emphasize and invest in innovative practices that ultimately improve Optimal's policy work and ability to provide real-time data and analysis to decision makers. In addition, continue to hire employees who have strong technical and subject matter expertise and are up to the challenge of continuously improving their skills.

40 Other Employee Reviews for Optimal Solutions Group, LLC (View Most Recent)

Not What I Wanted

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hyattsville, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hyattsville, MD

I worked at Optimal Solutions Group, LLC

Pros

Management is supportive of young professionals going back to school, especially in business fields.

Cons

Management by the business owners tends to be primarily reactive rather than planned. At best, they plan three to five months ahead, when their competition is planning 12 to 18 months ahead in bidding on contracts. Optimal lacks serious contract intelligence and the will to obtain it. They fully believe that quality, succesful proposals can and should be written in 10-20 days, and they expect their staff to work a lot of overtime to do it.

The turnover is phenomenal. Beyond a core set of a few employees, a large proportion stay for less than 18 months. The Optimal model is to hire new graduates at low salaries, work them to death (some actually sleep overnight in the office sometimes), and then they either move on after a year or go back to school. Few of these people make enough money to live on their own in DC. Senior employees are expected to have 100 percent billable hours -- not including business development, required staff meetings or training work -- and are subject at any time to unpredictable public beratings from the owners. The result is continuous 60-80 hour work weeks.

They subconctract to other research firms, and I frequently was (and have been) embarrassed by my association with them and the substandard work product they produce due to frequent underbidding of their projects (they underbid to gaurantee contract award, but they lack the funds to put experienced people on the project).

I wouldn't recommend this company as an employer.

1. Expand your contract intelligence so that you can increase your bid response time.
    2. Pay your younger workers a living salary that your senior workers can be proud of.
    3. Don't underbid at the expense of quality. Plan for unexpected things to go wrong on projects.

Excellent growth opportunities for those willing to take initiative and professional responsibility

Current Employee - Research Analyst I in College Park, MD
    Current Employee - Research Analyst I in College Park, MD

I have been working at Optimal Solutions Group, LLC

Pros

Many companies seem to give their more junior employees busy work or non-critical tasks. Optimal assesses the individual and give them the responsibility that suits their maturity and professionalism. The senior staff including the President and Vice President are accessible and willing to provide guidance. The work I am given is meaningful and allows me to leave each day knowing that what I've done makes a difference. The owners have gone out of their way to create an excellent work environment in an outstanding new facility.

Cons

The area surrounding the facility is not yet built up but and that can make leaving for lunch a bit difficult.

I encourage management to continue to pursue the type of work that intrigues researchers and allows us to continue to make an impact on the issues that are effecting the world.

There are newer employer reviews for Optimal Solutions Group, LLC