Oracle

www.oracle.com

Oracle, Neither Good Nor Bad

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant II  in  Portland, OR
Current Employee - Administrative Assistant II in Portland, OR

Pros

Oracle is a global corporation offering some employment stability in a dark economic climate. The benefits package is good and offers reasonable options. Oracle encourages team oriented activity and growth. Continuing education is offered and encouraged.

Cons

Because of the size of the organization, it is easy for an employee to get lost and dehumanized. Even though continuing education is offered, it is almost impossible to get it approved. Salaries and wages are usually minimal to midline of what the current area market is, and once you have accepted a starting wage it increases a maximum of 3%, and often several years pass by with no raise (irregardless of performance.) Oracle only matches a small portion of the 401K and that match can exclusively be invested in Oracle stock, an exact quote from the benefits page, 50% of your first 6% in contributions, so Oracle is matching your first 6% at 3%, almost nothing.

Stress teamwork and create an award system that encourages employee's efforts.

Other reviews for Oracle

You're only as good as your last fiscal quarter

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

Pros

There are plenty of oppritunities to make money at Oracle and those who are sucessful are well rewarded. There are great benefits like in-office gym, frequent catered meals, and extensive training, all free of charge.

Cons

There is an unhealthy influence from management to do whatever is neccesary to "get the job done" which prevents a clear distinction between work and personal time. This wouldn't be such a problem if they were more flexible with salespeople working from home. The pressure on the sales staff is average most of the time, however, pressure increases exponentially during the end of fiscal quarters or due to turn-over related issues.

My main advice to management at Oracle would be to coordinate communications better so that employees are not bombarded constantly with emails, conference calls, and ad hoc meetings to discuss the same issue or topic which wastes way too much time in today's economy. It would also be helpful if senior management would fully outline the expected hallmarks for career advancement and then stick to them....

Offers opportunity for a work life balance, but don't expect much influence on salary

Current Employee - Senior Manager Product Strategy  in  Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager Product Strategy in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Oracle is a great place to settle down in. In general at least in my job, there is a lot of flexibility in the work schedule. This is mainly due to the fact that it is an international business and many of my colleagues are overseas. It doesn't make sense to work 9-5 when you have either early morning calls or late night calls with overseas or people on the other coast.

Cons

I would not recommend it as a place for a first job though. The training and people development is not as good as I have seen it. I used to be a consultant working for the big 5 and at those companies the training is top notch. I'm lucky that I got that training and development before I came to Oracle.

Senior Management should place more emphasis on the yearly evaluation process and ensure it is a fair process of evaluating employees. Also the raises and bonuses need to be bigger or they need to be more fairly allocated to the people who deserve it.

There are newer employer reviews for Oracle.

Worked for Oracle? Contribute to the Community!