Oracle
3.3 of 5 4,760 reviews
www.oracle.com Redwood City, CA 5000+ Employees

Depends on the Neighborhood

Senior Sales Consultant (Former Employee)
Redwood City, CA

I worked at Oracle full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOracle is a city(!) with a 100,000+ population. To a large part your experience will depend on which neighborhood you reside in. There is literally a lake between Development and Sales at HQ, there are walls between product management and development, applications and infrastructure software etc. If possible I would consult a local before picking my area of residence.

If you work in the field you have more travelling but your hours are more flexible and you have a 'potential' to make more money. But the game to get into the field is cutthroat and if you're not good in politics and in whole-heartedly marketing yourself, you won't even get a chance to start. Once and if you get into field sales you really see what the Oracle DNA looks like. There are perks like par market pay and benefits, and known name on resume if you're targeting to work at mid-large enterprise companies in the future.

ConsIf you work in inside sales (aka call center) then money could be good, but your work is generally more boring. The weakness of Oracle is in its strength: in its industrial vision of creating lots of revenue within a highly bureaucratic machine. The resulting environment quickly alienates its workers who will not find a culture that values initiatives and creativity.

Advice to Senior ManagementCollaboration is one of the keys to Oracle's future, and it is missing. If packaging software and hardware into Engineered systems is the equivalent of Apple's integrated iPhone/iPad strategy, then what is Oracle's equivalent to Apple's culture of 'Deep Collaboration'? ... On the other hand, if the vision is that of selling software/hardware both on-premise and off-premise, then what motivates the two teams to move forward together?

The Re-design into integrated products and processes will be successful only if at the same time the culture and daily values at work are redesigned to support an integrated social system within the company.

Great opportunity if you get the right sales manager and the right accounts...

Applications Sales Manager (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at Oracle full-time for more than a year

Pros: Smart, hard working colleagues that like to work hard and… Cons: But they were the exception and not the rule. You can make a good living at Oracle but you will work much harder… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Tremendous Products and Staff

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Oracle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: #1 Product set coupled with tremendous consulting delivery staff. Cons: Company loyalty to employees virtually nonexistent. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Oracle.

Worked for Oracle? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Oracle reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Oracle CEO Larry Ellison. All reviews posted anonymously by Oracle employees.