Oracle

I don't hate my job :)

Current Employee - Development Manager in Redwood City, CA
Current Employee - Development Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Oracle

Pros

It's a big company, so there are options to choose from - moving groups is possible, even changing career tracks (Engineer to PM, etc.) is a possibility. The company is stable and won't be going away soon :) - as long you are doing a good job, there is little worry that you'll be laid off. The health and 401(k) benefits are generally decent. As always - combination of right place, right time, hard work, positive energy will pay off in the long term - have a 5 year + window.

Cons

Its big! So a lot of people seem lost.
My knowledge is limited to Fusion Middleware (Application Server) platform area and cannot comment of DB or APPS teams - the problems are
- dysfunctional - there is the obvious "right arm doesn't know what left arm is doing" syndrome.
- SDLC is not strictly followed -- engineering process gets a little chaotic/ ad hoc. the initial set of requirements/restrictions that you start with almost never hold true. Some thing or the other will change and you'll have to accommodate for it.
- schedules are very aggressive but in my opinion not realistic. To give an example, product hasn't shipped 18 months after a previously advertised "code freeze" date.
- you work a lot but get a sense of not having achieved as much.
- if you like to code a lot, then this isn't the place :(
- nobody makes firm commitments on requirements/schedules - I guess it is a way to make sure anything you don't know now can be made a "requirement" later.

Stop doing big bang releases. Tier the process so that there are fewer dependencies, the requirements are crystal clear.
Rolling development process is not viable and will drive away employees coming from all the companies that are being acquired where there is more structure.

6626 Other Employee Reviews for Oracle (View Most Recent)

Excellent career opportunities

Current Employee - Service Delivery Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Service Delivery Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Oracle

Pros

Very large customer base, excellent learning and growth opportunities. Leader in various market segment. Excellent benefits.

Cons

A big company so sometimes feel lost. Hard to find your way around.

Have frequent and open communication with the staff

Great place to start your career.

Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Oracle

Pros

Good compensation and benefits, good work/life balance. Opportunity to work with some of the best and the brightest in the industry.

Cons

It is a large corporation, with lots of moving parts...

Attract the best talent and do your best to train and retain it.

There are newer employer reviews for Oracle