There are newer employer reviews for Oracle

I don't hate my job :)

Current Employee - Development Manager in Redwood City, CA
Current Employee - Development Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Oracle

Pros

It's a big company, so there are options to choose from - moving groups is possible, even changing career tracks (Engineer to PM, etc.) is a possibility. The company is stable and won't be going away soon :) - as long you are doing a good job, there is little worry that you'll be laid off. The health and 401(k) benefits are generally decent. As always - combination of right place, right time, hard work, positive energy will pay off in the long term - have a 5 year + window.

Cons

Its big! So a lot of people seem lost.
My knowledge is limited to Fusion Middleware (Application Server) platform area and cannot comment of DB or APPS teams - the problems are
- dysfunctional - there is the obvious "right arm doesn't know what left arm is doing" syndrome.
- SDLC is not strictly followed -- engineering process gets a little chaotic/ ad hoc. the initial set of requirements/restrictions that you start with almost never hold true. Some thing or the other will change and you'll have to accommodate for it.
- schedules are very aggressive but in my opinion not realistic. To give an example, product hasn't shipped 18 months after a previously advertised "code freeze" date.
- you work a lot but get a sense of not having achieved as much.
- if you like to code a lot, then this isn't the place :(
- nobody makes firm commitments on requirements/schedules - I guess it is a way to make sure anything you don't know now can be made a "requirement" later.

Stop doing big bang releases. Tier the process so that there are fewer dependencies, the requirements are crystal clear.
Rolling development process is not viable and will drive away employees coming from all the companies that are being acquired where there is more structure.

5871 Other Employee Reviews for Oracle (View Most Recent)

Oracle is a good place to work, but if you're used to being productive, be prepared to get less done or work overtime.

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Camden, NJ
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Camden, NJ

I have been working at Oracle

Pros

Oracle is a huge, successful software development company, which means that software development IS the business, and development staff is not treated as just another cost center. Compensation and benefits are very good, and there is a great deal of flexibility when it comes to the hours one works. The ability to telecommute whenever it is necessary or convenient is also very nice.

Cons

Due to the breadth of software produced, a lot of time is spent integrating the products, which necessitates long release cycles. It's hard to get anything done quickly. There is also an abundance of process to control all of the continuous product integration, which also dampens one's ability to work quickly.

Also, it is quite difficult to get promoted. The running joke is that you have to leave and come back to get a promotion.

Figure out how to remove development roadblocks, and reward developers for their merits.

OK, but lots of potential to be better

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Oracle

Pros

Good pay and benefits, good management practices. Your managers are always willing to listen. Decisions that are made at the lower management levels are usually very good.

Cons

With Large companies you can get lost in the masses. The communications up the management chain can be laborious (you really have to push to move things up the ladder).

Focus some of that energy on workforce. The company is strongly focused on growth and as a consequence we have more than doubled the workforce. It is time to focus on these people and make sure we keep the best.

There are newer employer reviews for Oracle