There are newer employer reviews for Oracle

Hardware Engineer

Current Employee - Hardware Engineer  in  Santa Clara, CA
Current Employee - Hardware Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good team work, flexible working environment

Cons

Not much, maybe the cafeteria is not so good...

5740 Other Employee Reviews for Oracle (View Most Recent)

soul-sucking misery

I worked at Oracle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Oracle is enormous; the name resonates and results in opening doors for those who have it on a resume. The products are sound, so it's easy to get behind them. The benefits and salaries are competitive, and there are many perks (i.e. discounts for shopping and services) for employees.

Cons

This is the worst corporate culture in the world. Employees routinely experience only negative reinforcement; the formula is for managers to choose only 1 employee from the team as a "good example"-- the rest will never see a favorable review (and hence no bonus, raise or career advancement). Managers are respected by their headcount and they are always affraid to lose it, meaning employees are rarely allowed to switch roles/departments. There are no ethics to speak of as managers routinely lie and play "my word against yours"; and don't expect any help from HR who are only there to protect the company against litigation.

This miserable work environment is a direct result and reflection of Larry Elison, who rewards a "survival of the fittest" mentality; only the most unscrupulous, cut-throat and unethical employees last or advance. And that's just how he likes it.

A career dead end that sets you up for failure

Former Employee - Hardware Engineer  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Hardware Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Oracle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This company pays much higher than you will ever see anywhere else at this level, and it has great benefits. There's also an on-campus gym and cafeteria

Cons

They do not innovate. They instead push you to finish your tasks to meet mismanaged deadlines all for the sake of making the company money. They do not provide the necessary resources to complete projects within the desired timeline, and instead just set you up for failure.

I was put in a position where I had to complete a (2-person) task that required heavy lifting, and was not given another resource to assist in that task. I pushed back to get the necessary resource, but was denied and instead sternly warned that this needed to be completed on time or there would be a business impact. Of course, as I attempted to complete it on my own, I injured myself and damaged the equipment, getting a reprimand on my record. I wanted to file a worker's comp claim, but was afraid to do so in fear of being fired.

Provide the necessary resources to meet milestones when requested

There are newer employer reviews for Oracle

Worked for Oracle? Contribute to the Community!