Oracle

www.oracle.com
There are newer employer reviews for Oracle

Good solutions; poor marketing.

Current Employee - Vice President
Current Employee - Vice President

I have been working at Oracle

Pros

We're acquiring some of the best-in-breed software and are serious about tying them together to form best-in-class industry solutions. It's the Cisco model applied to software, and thanks to SOA, it's working. For people who have been acquired, the pace can seem slower, but if you can correctly leverage the huge sales force and pipeline, there is a huge customer base that you can sell to.

Cons

Larry's hatred of Microsoft means we have to avoid their stuff wherever possible. We don't use Exchange servers, and our email system is clumsy and painful. We seem to rewrite even basic applications for internal use - why are we using "Oracle Chat" when there are at least ten good alternatives already out there? Comp is on the low side, but they do give out options.

Invest some money in marketing your products! It's galling to see SAP's ads touting software that's nowhere as good as ours when we're not saying anything in return.

6447 Other Employee Reviews for Oracle (View Most Recent)

Good company, but HR could be refined in a big way

Current Employee - Development Lead in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Development Lead in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Oracle

Pros

Oracle always leading
    Aggressive culture
    Big company benefits
    Surrounded by smart people
    Upper management has their act together
    Sales organization is world class
    Great gym if you have the time to use it

Cons

HR is disorganized - Appraisal, bonus, stock all on different cycles so cannot link together
    Always cost cutting to meet margins.
    Although you can do more with less in US, emphasis is to hire in lower cost areas to save money, when you are really making the US employees work twice as hard to manage local and abroad resources
    Top down approach. Less innovation from the bottom up. A hierarchy driven culture.

Synchronize HR/people processes. It hurts morale and sets up the manager for failure and disgruntled employees.

Good balanced work

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Oracle

Pros

Good work life balance. Great people to work with

Cons

Old technologies. Not fast enough to embrace new technologies. Very large corporation

Faster adoption of new technologies and opportunities

There are newer employer reviews for Oracle