Oracle

www.oracle.com
There are newer employer reviews for Oracle

No real career path available.

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Broomfield, CO
Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Oracle full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Large company, well known software as well as hardware (Sun Microsystems acquisition). Vast array of technologies to play with.

Cons

No real opportunity for advancement. Pay is below standard. I interviewed for many open internal positions and got accepted only to be told that I could not get a pay raise or pay grade change. Example: Applied for Sys admin 4 position, aced the interview and was the number 1 pick out of the other interviewees; Was offered the position at a much lower pay grade. They would rather bring in someone from the outside and pay them more than promote someone from within. It's business that makes no sense.

Allow internal advancement to higher recs. I interviewed for many open internal recs and got accepted only to be told that I could not accept the paygrade offer. Basically they wanted me to move into a Sys Admin 4 position but accept the same pay as my lower paygrade.

6447 Other Employee Reviews for Oracle (View Most Recent)

Orace is a large company and THAT'S how it operates

Current Employee - Consulting Technical Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Consulting Technical Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Oracle full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people, Challenging project roles

Cons

Too big, no work life balance

Think about your people

Would only work there again if my family were starving--literally starving

Former Employee - Manager in Redwood Shores, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Redwood Shores, CA

I worked at Oracle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent compensation, great benefits, nice gym, pleasing campus, good food options, and, because it is a desirable employer, you generally end up working with competent/intelligent colleagues. Also, it is a refreshingly international campus, with many foreign languages to be heard as you walk around.

Cons

I was warned about Oracle's multitudes of miserable employees, but I refused to believe that there were no good departments in such a large and sure-to-be-multifaceted company. And perhaps there are harmonious departments that run smoothly enough, but my experience sadly fit in with the legends circulating in the valley. I witnessed an outrageous degree of politics (every company suffers from this, but Oracle antics exceed the usual). Morale always seemed to be dropping. And it was difficult to simply to our job. Two VPs splitting control over the same product were vying over our little group as just one pawn leading to ultimate control of said product. In vying for our group, both had a hand in almost destroying it. The petty and destructive behavior was completely tolerated in the higher rungs of the organization: the executive VPs were aware of the warfare and did nothing to promote productivity. In the org structure, our little group was always placed under a branch that made it difficult to accomplish anything. I've never had to jump through so many hoops to simply perform the task I had been asked to perform to begin with. I came in so very proud to be an Oracle employee. I recall having the "Sunday blues" with other jobs, but with Oracle, I had the blues on the eve of every workday.

Simply enable your employees to do their jobs. Your employees are not your enemies. And your equals should not be your enemies. The behavior that is tolerated (perhaps even encouraged?) at the Director, VP, and Senior VP levels is unparalleled! You comprise a bazaar of underhanded political intrigue that seems like it can only damage the ultimate product.

There are newer employer reviews for Oracle