There are newer employer reviews for Oracle

It all depends on your product line and market.

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Redwood City, CA
Current Employee - Sales Representative in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Huge presence in the market, recognizable brand, established relationships with most CIOs. Very strong commitment to R&D.

Cons

Sales is viewed as a necessary evil. There is tremendous channel conflict due to 10+ prime salespeople all competing for time and attention with the same CIO. If you are in sales, don't expect to be paid on time. The compensation issues at Oracle in terms of accuracy and timeliness are the worst that I have seen in my very long tenure within this industry.

Fix the root cause(s) of the turnover problem.

5871 Other Employee Reviews for Oracle (View Most Recent)

I got to work on some really interesting things and had some great customers, but I was just a number.

Former Employee - Director, Product Management in Redwood Shores, CA
    Former Employee - Director, Product Management in Redwood Shores, CA

I worked at Oracle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Steady financial results through tough economic times. Lots of momentum leading to job security. Good pay and benefits. Good exposure to lots of customers, and your work as a product manager affects so many people, you get a following.

Lots of the people I worked with were top-notch. Many domains in the company are world class, such as sales execution, many parts of IT such as BI, and some of the development teams.

When I was acquired by Oracle, I expected horrifying politics because of stories I'd heard through the years. At my level, this was not the case - I found the politics to be pretty average.

Lots of flexibility to telecommute.

People in the outside world respect the brand.

Cons

Not a people-oriented company. They would have been happy for me to stay in the same job until I retire. The people making staffing decisions were so many levels up, they didn't really know what I did. They hired somebody from outside the company to do the next exciting project that had been promised to me by my direct management - that's why I finally left.

As a product manager, you don't get to work on the roadmap. All product direction and business planning is done by Thomas Kurian at the EVP level and passed down to you. There are ways to influence things indirectly, but you have to really work your network.

This is a truly international company, and acquired teams are left geographically where there were when they were acquired. Those are good things, but the con for many people is that you rarely have face-to-face contact with many of your peers. Like many tech companies, you have early morning and late evening calls around the world that disrupt your home life.

This is a huge company, so things move slowly and there is lots of overhead. You will get to work with lots of customers, but you will not get much done in development. I got more done the first year at my next job than I did in 4 years at Oracle.

I would still recommend this company to somebody who is interested in a very stable job and good benefits, but not to somebody who wants to change the world. More than at other companies, you have to actively work the system if you want to keep growing your skills and get new opportunities, and you have less control over your tasks and destiny.

Be more people-oriented. Allow and encourage more autonomy by teams, supported by more insight into the strategy.

Good place to get early experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA

I worked at Oracle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of people to learn from as a new graduate or someone transition into a new role. There are many large projects and plenty of opportunities for products to improve.

Cons

Very large company that moves slowly. It probably depends on the group but it didn't feel like there was a lot of room to grow.

Try to move projects and releases faster. The company seems to be try to catch up with new business trends but some real efforts to make it more cohesive and less piecemeal would help.

There are newer employer reviews for Oracle