There are newer employer reviews for Oracle

Work depends on your group or division

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility in time. Work from home option few days a week. Good sick leave policy.

Cons

More work but less head count. All acquired companies are not totally transitioned to working style of original Oracle. It is like 2 different companies.

Advice to Management

Make the acquisition process more efficient, it would be really good say at end of 2 years after acquisition , those groups work the exact same way as original Oracle.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Stable job, no salary increases.

Current Employee - Contracts in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Contracts in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have a stable job with good benefits. Good health insurance, 401K, stock purchase options.
    It's great that they have a free gym and nice cafeteria. I am able to work from home some of the time. Honestly, the cheap health insurance and and work from home option are the only things keeping at this company.

Cons

No salary increases ever! Even after taking on harder positions multiple times. They mostly only offer lateral moves with no pay increases.
    There are to many middle managers. It's a micromanagement culture.

Advice to Management

Reward hard working employees with pay raises based on performance. They need to do more to retain hard working loyal employees!
    Less middle managers...more pay increases for the people out there doing the real work!

2. Once a great place to be in sales, now very mediocre

Current Employee - Applications Sales - Field
    Current Employee - Applications Sales - Field

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Broad array of products, known by the customers. Oracle is a strategic vendor at most companies. This may not be because of great service, but instead because we have bought so many of our competitors that we a major vendor at our customers.

I also think Larry and Safra are cool. They are sharp people and have kept the company on top. Middle management blames these two for all that goes bad--the reality is that they are not the problem, it is the middle-managers who use Larry and Safra as an excuse not to address their own bad management practices. If Larry and Safra knew the games played, the way salespeople get screwed, the way that middle management blames them for everything, things would get better.

Cons

Oracle caps the earnings of their sales reps at any one account. After you hit 250% of your quote, they drop you to like 1%. Management rips on sales people; they think they earn too much money. They think management gives a lot of help on big deals so reps should be capped. Big deals are few and far between, territories are getting smaller, and it is getting more bureaucratic. The morale is horrible, and many reps continue to leave.

Advice to Management

Create an atmosphere where field sales people are respected, and eliminate the caps now--in FY2014. Don't wait until June 1 to do it. They are so insulting. Successful sales people at Oracle are very upset with management for the caps. We really like Oracle, but won't perform if you don't lift the caps.

Also, stop using the crutch "We're a self-service company" as an excuse to dump bureaucratic work on the salespeople. Oracle needs to streamline and give reps time to call on customers and to think. A "plan" in powerpoint doesn't help anybody--the dynamics of an account move too fast. It wastes the salespersons time and distracts them from working with the client. Working sales reps 20 hours a day, forcing them to do stupid bureaucratic stuff doesn't save you money. It burns out the reps. They are tired and worn when they finally meet with clients.

Last--delayer. Larry and Safra need to get closer to what is really going on.