There are newer employer reviews for Oracle

Plenty of work, good benefits, not much else but steady

Current Employee - Test Engineer in Broomfield, CO
Current Employee - Test Engineer in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Oracle full-time

Pros

Benefits. Pay is average for the area. Nice campus. Fairly flexible hours. Product line has good potential. If you do not like interacting with people this may be the place for you.

Cons

Self service for everything. Matrix management = you are on your own as a wandering drone engineer. No goals, no raises, no feedback except bad, no career advancement opportunities. Cycled in and out of projects which are never fulfilled and criteria changes to make the schedule. Many people WFH to avoid heavy lifting but that is now by approval only. A class system of people and so not well defined roles. Test labs a complete mess, which they are trying to correct but not close to industry standard. Now we are told of capital spending cuts after praise for making the last release so successful and increasing profits. Many people cliques. Tight with your manager then you get perks, manager disinterested in you then you get over assigned and 60 hour weeks while others on your team skate. Too many lost efficiencies as very disgruntled previous Sun employees simply do not care anymore and do not interact outside of cliques. Director micro manages test leads and engineers from 30,000 FT and out of touch with engineering realities. Could be so much more.

Advice to Management

Have a vision, share it, implement it and follow up on it. Modernize your test labs to industry and customer standards. The matrix management thing is an excuse for managers to only manage up and not manage people. Recognize individual contributions. Stop telling employees yearly compensation/raises are tied to a missed wall street analyst's expected earning projection do the right thing any profitable company should.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. It's big. It's really like 10 different companies all working under one title, but having very little overlap

I have been working at Oracle

Pros

Really smart people. The product management team is unbelievable. Because it's so big, you are never at a loss for finding someone who can help and who is fantastic on the subject where you need help. I have learned more working here than I have in any other job, so I'm happy I came

Cons

They don't pay well anymore. I work more hours and make less money than any other job I've had in the industry.

Advice to Management

You have cut so many costs that we don't want to work here anymore. Really talented people are all leaving because so many other companies pay so much more and provide so much more upside. You have to go back to the old compensation model where people are willing to put up with the challenges of Oracle because they make so much money. Without a big comp plan, you're just a big company that is difficult to navigate

2. Self sustaining mode of work and learning

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible, self service, virtual team

Cons

No team work , individual contributor type culture, no focus on internal employee growth and training. No team events