Oracle

There are newer employer reviews for Oracle

Hardware Engineer

Current Employee - Hardware Developer II in Santa Clara, CA
Current Employee - Hardware Developer II in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time (more than a year)

Pros

good work and life balance

Cons

bad management, lack of incentive system

6609 Other Employee Reviews for Oracle (View Most Recent)

Salary below market

I have been working at Oracle

Pros

Lots of opportunities to learn for those who are interested.

Cons

Bonus not assured. No bonus company-wide in 2013. Literally, thousands of people with the same caliber. I am sure that is true for any large company. So competition among peers becomes stiff. Compensation is at least 25% below market.

Consolidate the portfolio of overlapping products

From very cool to oppressive and unweildy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Oracle full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's a great place to be from. People are impressed when you say you're with or have worked at Oracle. Telecommuting is a reality - teams are scattered geographically and you're expected to be able to work from wherever you choose to be. It used to be so cool - leading to bleeding edge, you worked hard but were rewarded for it; everyone was top-notch and the work was exciting.

Cons

In no particular order - you rarely or never see your colleagues in person. Many of the internal software programs are very difficult to use and inadequate to our purposes (cobbler's children with no shoes?). The company is very inflexible, many layers of management,many approvals to do anything at all, no guidance as to what the necessary approvals are. Very few promotion opportunities, substandard salaries, no bonuses or incentives unless you're sales. Departments very silo'd. Almost impossible to find someone with a specific function in another department. You're expected to be available to work 24/7, and to drop everything to work evenings and weekends as needed, which is often.

Work groups are much too silo'd, with no way to find overlapping or complimentary skills or missions. Teams with similar or overlapping functions are created with no interaction, often no awareness of each other. Many sales functions are in direct opposition to each other, resulting in internal distrust and some real backstabbing. Far too many approvals required. We have too many chiefs, not nearly enough workers. Our targets are beyond effective stretch goals and we are threatened with headcount changes regularly. Many of our best people are demoralized and the turnover is high. We are being managed a lot, but not managed well.

There are newer employer reviews for Oracle