Oracle

www.oracle.com
  www.oracle.com
There are newer employer reviews for Oracle

Great people but bad luck

Former Employee - Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
Former Employee - Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Oracle

Pros

Excellent pay and ability to expand the breadth of your responsibilities. The management was very privy to market conditions and knew exmployees should be well compensated to ensure we keep our core team stable. This may have been pricey but in the long run allowed us to produce a high quality product given our resources. All levels of people in the company always treated each other with a tremendous amount of respect even when the going got rough.

Cons

Small company with little resources. There was always too much to do and not enough people to do it. Also we were very customer centric so we changed direction as a company whenever a customer suggested it.

Stay focused on a single goal and path

6161 Other Employee Reviews for Oracle (View Most Recent)

Oracle is a big safe ship, but the crew works very hard...

Current Employee - Practice Director in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Practice Director in Austin, TX

I have been working at Oracle

Pros

It is a big company with a grocery store of applications and technologies. I feel very safe here and I am from one of the acquired companies. Always good to be with a winner. I have also felt that Oracle has given me a fair shake and has advanced me and enhanced my chances at career recognition and promotion.

Health insurance is the best of anyone on my block (IBM, Sun, Yahoo, Bea (now ORCL), Deloitte.

I think you can have lots of opportunities to make of yourself what you will.

Cons

Oracle's legacy culture is a little on the cutt-throat side. Many people from Oracle (not by acquisition) can seem to view other co-workers and / or other divisions as something akin to "Co-opertition". I think this has some good and bad sides. I like healthy competition and working with people that are go-getters. I do believe that sometimes the competition aspect can lead to short sided decisions (based on one's own bonus, team or other factor) that can be long term bad for the company, long term or larger team.

Seemingly tough to find that right life / work balance: at least in the sales and conuslting ranks (where money is being made / brought in), I find it difficult to sometimes balance life and work. I see many people struggling to do the same. I have ended up in a position in particular that I think really helps the situation for me and my family but I see many people that will miss their kids or other family responsibilities. Bottom line, many work crazy hours and expect you to do the same. It seems to be more about being able to answer the e-mail at an ungodly hour (the apperance of working hard) than being efficient, effective and then going home.

I don't have their job and their pressure, so I have no advice for Sr Management. And despite some of the things I say above, I have no idea how I would run a company of this size any differently.

Likewise, I believe Oracle has done a crazy great job with acquisitions and has again created a grocery store full of products, applications and technology that surround our competition in the market. Bad econ times seem to be upon us in 2008 and yet, I feel very safe here at ORCL (it helps in this case that I am making my numbers currently).

Oracle - Success with a price?

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Oracle

Pros

Very creative people. Like minded organization.

Cons

People looking for scapegoats too often.

Acknowledge the realities of the marketplace. Don't let up on the gas, but acknowledge the market today.

There are newer employer reviews for Oracle