Orange County Schools

www.ocps.net
  www.ocps.net
There are newer employer reviews for Orange County Schools

Work experience has been decent.

I have been working at Orange County Schools

Pros

Good kids mostly, but Good hours.

Cons

Political part is for the birds.

55 Other Employee Reviews for Orange County Schools (View Most Recent)

Getting more stressful and demanding by the day!

Current Employee - Teacher in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Orange County Schools full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Medical benefits, average retirement benefits. You get a stipend if you are team lead, coach, etc. Summers are free for you to take on a second job and pay for your bills during those months if you didn't take the deferred paychecks throughout the year. You also get paid extra for having a masters degree of doctorate's.

Cons

The salary scale has changed over the past 5 years, now it's moving into a Merit Pay system tied to test scores and teacher evaluation. If you move to another county and continue your teaching career you lose your tenure (this is more of a state issue). The evaluation system is very biased and is focusing on issues not really tied to student learning and achievement. The salary is not commesurate to the years of experience and educational background.

Teachers are taking on many responsibilities that take away from the lesson planning and teaching. We have to make up this lost time on our own at home and on weekend and holidays so we can keep up with the daily responsibilities of teaching our children. All this without the proper compensation.

New teacher? Leave the state!!

Former Employee - Teacher in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Teacher in Orlando, FL

I worked at Orange County Schools full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Times are rough for Florida teachers. You can have a school with teachers that rally together. Depends on the school.

Cons

New subjective assessments allow administrators a new tool to be able to get rid of teachers below a 3.0 score.

Stop getting rid of teachers because of budget problems or personal reasons, instead invest energy to improve their performance.

There are newer employer reviews for Orange County Schools