There are newer employer reviews for Orbital Sciences

Very good company to work for

I have been working at Orbital Sciences full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very good rate of pay, flexible hours. Alway something interesting to do. Very demanding, high tech company. Good communication with staff.

Cons

Long hours, called in after-hours and weekends.

reviews filtered by

Can't decide if it's a little company or a big company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dulles, VA

I have been working at Orbital Sciences full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work on a very wide variety of space programs. S/C design, manufacturing, and operations all in one place gives employees exposure to the end-to-end process. Better internal mobility than I've seen elsewhere.

I've worked places with brilliant managers who were complete jackasses. I've worked places with really nice people in the management chain who were totally incompetent. At least within my management chain, I have very competent, extremely professional people.

Cons

Extremely tight overhead budgets limit participation in training, attendance at conferences, etc. The "Management Operating System' initiative is really more like the "Micromanagement Operating System." If you'd just listen to the people, you'd have the same information without hurting morale.

There's definitely an expectation that people here work unpaid hours, train on their own time (and sometimes with their own money.) It feels like a little company where everyone works like crazy because they have part ownership in the company -- but we don't.

Advice to Management

You do realize the worker bees are afraid of you guys on the 4th floor right?

Planner - No MRP and no interest in improving.

Former Employee - Material Planner in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Material Planner in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Orbital Sciences full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay and Benefits are great, the health care package is one of the best that I have encountered. The company has a cool product line so you get to work on some neat programs.

Cons

Poor working environment. Management in the planning department lacks people skills. The company has an MRP system but refuses to run it so material planning is done by manually looking up hundreds of parts and making sure they are still in stock and available. Sr. management knows this but has no interest in changing it. If your are motivated and looking for a Job where you can make a difference this is not the place to go.

Lower level management has no interest in improving the situation, simple suggestions to improve processes are rejected outright with no discussion or feedback. Lower level managers lack professionalism, It is not uncommon to be in a staff meeting and hear management call supervisors n other departments derogatory names.

Departments do not work together, they seem more interested in sticking it to the next guy, or highlighting some obscure error then in working together to achieve companies goals and improve the process. Department politics run rampant.

Advice to Management

I would suggest that management focus on running the MRP system and open up to employees looking to improve the process.