Orbitz Worldwide

www.orbitz.com
  www.orbitz.com
There are newer employer reviews for Orbitz Worldwide

A great place to learn but it can be a hard road.

Former Employee - Operations Engineer in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Operations Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Orbitz Worldwide

Pros

Many new technologies to focus on.
Mostly easy to move into new areas within the company to continue expanding your knowledge.
Market space is fairly deep and will not easily run out of new lessons.
Very knowledgeable colleagues will bring your competency level up.
Some of my longest term contacts have originated here.

Cons

Depending on the group your in work hours can very at extreme ends.
Management seems to be rather disconnected from engineering ranks.
Strong decisive decisions seem to be lacking at many layers in org. Everyone has a say to point of fault.
Technical operations is not a business driver in this organization. This leads to many miss steps and frustrations if you are entering this company as in individual contributor lower level manager.

If I could offer anything to management from my experience at Orbitz it would be to find ways to align operations with business goals and incentivize on this success accordingly. For many individual contributors simply providing an avenue to educate one's self on the details of Orbitz business challenges can help engender a greater sense of loyalty and drive innovation in a more focused and productive manner. As it stands many individual contributors, at least in operations, are focused on optimizing technical processes. This can be worth while in some cases but often misses the bigger picture. As this miss alignment grows the most experienced individuals will feel this disconnect the greatest and seek other opportunities.

387 Other Employee Reviews for Orbitz Worldwide (View Most Recent)

A great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide

Pros

I've been with Orbitz for almost three years and in that time, I discovered that this is a great company to work for. It has a young, energetic, .com feel to it.

Cons

I've been satisfied with the job responsibilities but I'm concerned that the compensation packages might not be up to par with the rest of the industry.

Please review your compensation structure and also allow people time to explore new ideas which could lead to innovation in our industry

Plenty of opportunities for personal and career growth.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Orbitz Worldwide

Pros

Orbitz has a great company culture, with a largely "open door" policy with upper management. This provides one with plenty of opportunities to provide one's input towards the direction of the company.

Cons

Due to the nature of the products and services that Ortbiz provides, sometimes it is necessary for developers to provide support when things go wrong, event if it's at 2am.

Although there may be guidelines for measuring performance, these should be also measured considering the personal goals of the individuals within the company.

There are newer employer reviews for Orbitz Worldwide